• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Photo quality issues.

Reaction score
I just got back from a trip to Mt. Everest and have some really great, high quality photos I put into an iMovie slideshow for my family. Its version 3.0.3. Problem is that these quality photos have become heavily pixelated. Is there anyway to solve this problem so they are displayed in high resolution when I play the video?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 24" 2.8 ghz
If you use the Ken Burns effect they will come out perfect. imovie treats them like video.

OP
E
Reaction score
Ken Burns

No, it didn't work for some reason. The images are still heavily pixelated, strangely Ken Burns actually made the situation worse. Maybe the original photos are of too high a quality?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
How high is the quality? what did you take the photos with?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo 2 GB of Ram: 20 inch iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 3 GB Ram
What iso did u shoot at. That can determine the noise involved.

OP
E
Reaction score
Yeah, I tried to do the things recommended to no avail. My iphoto wont let me me export the pictures, and my iMovie wont let me choose to create an HD slideshow. I really can't explain what's going on.

Reaction score
You can export the pics by just highlighting them in the iPhoto Library window them and dragging them to the Desktop. The end result is you have duplicates of those pics on your Desktop.

Can you post a screenshot of one of the pics?

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
The photos are high res, your television is a VERY low res device in comparison.
Use photoshop or similar to crop the photos down to the correct res of the tv and then sharpen them with a little unsharp mask.

OP
E
Reaction score
I can highlight and drag the photos out of iPhoto but this doesn't allow me to resize them as far as I know. I can; however, resize them manually in photoshop but there are over 450 photos and that would be overly time consuming.

Resize.jpg

OP
E
Reaction score
Oh, and I am not trying to play this on a TV. Just on my computer screen which I thought was pretty high res since the photos show up crisp and clear on both iPhoto and the 'preview' program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
What compression are you using when you export the slideshow movie?

Even iMovie's best export settings compress video quite a bit, which would lead to the distortion in your photos.

Have you tried making the slideshow with iPhoto instead? I have never actually tired this, so I don't know what the compression would be like. It might be worth a try though.

OP
E
Reaction score
I can't figure out the compression settings. I cannot find that option in my iMovie, I think I may be running a far outdated version.
Per the iPhoto suggestion, I have tried doing that but it only allows you to play one song when viewing the photos. Not desirable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I can't figure out the compression settings. I cannot find that option in my iMovie, I think I may be running a far outdated version.
Per the iPhoto suggestion, I have tried doing that but it only allows you to play one song when viewing the photos. Not desirable.
I apologize, I wasn't exactly as clear as I could have been.
What option are you exporting your movie as? When you choose the "Share" option to export it, you should see things like "Web", "E-mail", "CD-ROM"...etc.
One of those options would be "Expert Settings"... choose that one.

Then select "Movie to QuickTime Movie" and hit the "Options" button.

In the "Movie Settings" window that comes up, click the "Settings" button.

Another window will open and you will see "Compression Type" at the top with a drop down menu.
Choose "Animation" from the menu.
In this same window under the Motion section, set the frame rate for 29.97 fps
Under the Compressor section, set the Depth to "Millions of Colors+", then set the Quality to "Best"
Now hit the "OK" button on this window.

Back at the "Movie Settings" window, click the "Size" button.

This will open the "Export Size Settings" window
From the Dimensions drop down, choose the setting for your screen size.
(Standard TVs will be the default NTSC standard of 720x480)
Then hit "OK" to close this window.

Again, you are back to the "Movie Settings" window.
Now uncheck the box where it says "Prepare for Internet Streaming" and hit the OK button to close this window.

Now, you are at the "Save Exported File as..." window.
Name your file and save it where you would like to.

This will take some time to render, so leave it go until it is done.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
I can; however, resize them manually in photoshop but there are over 450 photos and that would be overly time consuming.

Create an action to resize one photo, then run a batch to execute that action on a folder of images, hey presto 450 photos all resized for you whilst you are away making a coffee, watching tv etc

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.