Finder can't write to FTP folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
I've upgraded to Leopard and set a local FTP service up on my Ubuntu machine with ProFTPd. I have set an account up that should let the user have full permissions to their home folder. It works fine from Windows via IE through Nautilus on Ubuntu. Leopard is okay too with Cyberduck but when I FTP in with Finder it can read the directory but if I try to write anything it says the drive is full.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Just found this thread. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=195847 Finder can't write to a FTP server? What?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Yep. Finder can't write to FTP. Everyone thought leopard would have the feature, but alas...

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
Is there any application that will mount a FTP account and let you access it like a local file system. I use Cyberduck, which is great for uploading and downloading. But when I'm editing Photoshop files, etc I'd like to save straight to the remote server. I used to use Samba but the Leopard update has broken all that. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Coda works great for that. So would Transmit. You can right click remote files and choose "Edit With > PhotoShop".
www.panic.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^^ Ah. But while saving the file from Photoshop, I don't think you can save it directly to the remote server which is what out friend Dr. Quincy wants. Of course, I use Coda, and I find it perfectly sane to save the file to desktop and then drag it over to coda's remote window...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes - when you save in PhotoShop, it gets uploaded to the FTP server automagically. You can save, make an edit, resave, over and over again. Each time you'll hear the confirming "POP" sound that it's been uploaded.
The command is "Edit with", not "Open with". ;)

I actually do that to make new images on FTP sites. I duplicate an existing image, rename it, "Edit With PS", make changes, Save.

It works quite well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I use to mount my FTP space on Tiger all the time, and drag and drop files between my computer and my server.. did they take this functionality away?

Actually I haven't even been able to connect to my server through finder since I upgraded, I have to work off a different computer. I hope Apple fixes this with the next update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was always the case where you couldn't write to FTP. Even on Tiger. I'm sure you must have been using some software that enabled FTP write...

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
Yeah, some software does. The FTP browser on TextWrangler still works in Leopard for example.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One of those non-free FTP programs did mount a 'ftp drive'... but I can't remember which it as.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.