itunes moving music to another

Reaction score
Been kinda playing with iTunes lately. I was wondering how to move music from one folder to another. I know how to create a new folder but I don't know how to move music around from folder to folder. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
I get the impression you want to keep your music organised within your own hierarchy rather than let iTunes do that?

Just create all the folders that you think you might need first, then use the spring-loaded folder feature which Mac OS has to move the files, or you can use Cut & Paste (Command + X & Command + V respectively)

Cut/Paste is accessible from the Right-Click Contextual Menu or Edit in the menu toolbar.

Using spring-loaded folders

If you pause a moment when you drag an item onto a folder, a window opens for the folder so you can choose where to put the item.

Drag the item to the folder, then wait a moment until the window opens.

To set the delay before the window opens, choose Finder > Preferences, click General, and adjust the Delay setting.

If you set a long delay or turn off spring-loaded folders in Finder Preferences, you can press the Space bar when you drag the icon to open the window immediately.

Even if you do configure iTunes to organise your music within its own hierarchy of folders there are occasions where you have to go in and move a few files around, like moving a song that belongs with other tracks of the same album but iTunes puts it in an "Unknown Album" folder. The same method of dragging while navigating the spring-loaded folders would also apply.

You can drag items to all the icons in the Finder sidebar using the spring-loaded technique to navigate to any enclosed destination folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.