If I delete all of the pics in my iPhoto library...

Reaction score
That doesn't remove them from my computer, right? I want to start over in iPhoto. I imported a whole bunch of pictures while on vacation before I knew what I wanted to do, and now I have a mess. I have hundreds and hundreds of pics in my library in iPhoto, loads of duplicates in my pictures folder, and again in another folder in Pictures called "iphoto library" i have originals, modified... blarg. It's too confusing. I want to arrange my pics from scratch, and get rid of the duplicates. So if I go into iPhoto, and delete my library, I'm not going to toast my actual photos... or will I?

Anyone?:eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
If you delete the library then all your photos willl be trashed. But what you can do is copy the originals folder under library to some other location and then delete the library. The originals folder can help you import the photos again.

OP
Z
Reaction score
now I'm really confused...

Confused because... I just read in another thread, someone said "If you delete a photo/photos from the main iPhoto Library they are not deleted from the iPhoto Library Folder in YourUserAccount/Pictures/iPhoto Library."

Meh?

Reaction score
If you delete photos from the main iPhoto Library Window in the app they are not deleted from the iPhoto Library Folder in YourUserAccount/Pictures/iPhoto Library.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
Confusion reigns! This is why I don't use iPhoto (anymore).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
O.k. for the duplicates, try iPhoto Diet. Will weed out the dupes. You want to save the "Originals" and "modified" photos, as they are the ones that iPhoto uses, and will let you return to the originals if you want to undo any changes, etc.

If all of you pictures are in your pictures folder (not talking about the iPhoto library folder here) then you should be able to delete them from the iPhoto library folder and they will remain on your computer. Or vice versa. There is no need to import your photos to a folder, then into iPhoto -- that will certainly duplicate them. Just let iPhoto import them into the library and be done with it. Do your organizing/manipulating from the app and forget the library in finder exists.

Reaction score
iPhoto & iTunes are similar in the way they offer you the choice in managing your own media or handing the reigns over to them to manage things.

When these apps are launched what you see are alias' to all your pics/music files organised in a library window. The library windows are just interfaces to your pics & music.

Whether or not you organise your own file structure, they remain alias' and deleting an alias doesn't remove the original, which is partly why it can be confusing.

I recommend you use Image Capture, which you'll find in your apps folder, and configure it to launch instead of iPhoto when you connect a camera:

picture_1-20071128-082617.jpg

Then you'll have a choice about what you import (if you want) to iPhoto.

If you delete a pic from iPhoto or a song from iTunes you should always right-click the alias in the library first, then select "Show in Finder" and delete the original file from the Finder before going back to the apps Library and deleting the file/s alias.

I have my own hierarchy of pic folders on my PC and with the amount of pics I take I can't honestly say it's any easier keeping track of them all myself than it is allowing iPhoto full charge on my Mac.

OP
Z
Reaction score
I hate to drag this out...

...but I think that in fact if you do delete your photos from your "Library" in the iPhoto application, then the photos are gone if you store them in \user name\pictures\iphoto library -- correct? I think so. BUT... if you keep them in \user name\pictures and they are NOT in \iphoto library ... then they are safe.

I think it's all starting to make sense... in a sort of convoluted way. I really want to like iPhoto... I'm sure it's just going to take me getting used to it. :|

Is there an iPhoto support group?:D

ZDW

Reaction score
...but I think that in fact if you do delete your photos from your "Library" in the iPhoto application, then the photos are gone if you store them in \user name\pictures\iphoto library -- correct? I think so. BUT... if you keep them in \user name\pictures and they are NOT in \iphoto library ... then they are safe.

I think it's all starting to make sense... in a sort of convoluted way. I really want to like iPhoto... I'm sure it's just going to take me getting used to it. :|

Is there an iPhoto support group?:D

ZDW

Just like in iTunes, the pics you see in the iPhoto Library are just alias' regardless of where you decide to store the originals.

If you were to right-click on a song in iTunes and select "Show in Finder" then when the file is shown, you were to delete it and return to iTunes and try to play the song, an exclamation mark would show up to the left of the song in the Library ... this is because the link has been broken and the alias no longer points to anything.

picture_1-20071128-223150.jpg

the exact same applies to iPhoto, delete the original from its folder and although the alias will still represent the pic as a thumbnail, as soon as you click on it to view it in full-screen or whatever, all you'll see is a grey box with an exclamation mark in the middle.

picture_2-20071128-223409.jpg

So, the library windows in iTunes/iPhoto only display alias' which point to the original files which can either be stored in your user directory or on an external HD.

Delete the original file and you break the alias connection. Delete the alias and you don't affect the original unless as in iTunes case, you accept the prompt to remove the original to the Trash. iPhoto doesn't offer you this choice when you remove/delete an alias from its library, though.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Spawn__Dooley;537290 said:
Just like in iTunes, the pics you see in the iPhoto Library are just alias' regardless of where you decide to store the originals.

If you were to right-click on a song in iTunes and select "Show in Finder" then when the file is shown, you were to delete it and return to iTunes and try to play the song, an exclamation mark would show up to the left of the song in the Library ... this is because the link has been broken and the alias no longer points to anything.

picture_1-20071128-223150.jpg

the exact same applies to iPhoto, delete the original from its folder and although the alias will still represent the pic as a thumbnail, as soon as you click on it to view it in full-screen or whatever, all you'll see is a grey box with an exclamation mark in the middle.

picture_2-20071128-223409.jpg

So, the library windows in iTunes/iPhoto only display alias' which point to the original files which can either be stored in your user directory or on an external HD.

Delete the original file and you break the alias connection. Delete the alias and you don't affect the original unless as in iTunes case, you accept the prompt to remove the original to the Trash. iPhoto doesn't offer you this choice when you remove/delete an alias from its library, though.

Oh boy. Ok... see, I did a test last night because I was confused and wanted to sort this out before I started deleting photos. So here's what I did.

Created a photo, called it "iPhoto Test" and put it on the desktop.

Opened iPhoto, and dragged the photo from the desktop over to the folder column in the iPhoto App, got the little green plus sign and dropped it in. It created an untitled folder (fine whatever) and also added the photo into my iPhoto library in both the app (the folder called library at the top of the column on the left in the app) as well as into my iPhoto Library in \douglaswalker\photos\iphoto library.

Remember, this photo didn't exist anywhere on my PC before. Now it's both on my Desktop AND in the above directory \douglaswalker\photos\iphoto library\data PLUS a smaller thumbnail. I searced for it, and found it those three places.

I deleted the one from the desktop because no need for two of the same thing, right? So now it's in \douglaswalker\photos\iphoto library\data an the smaller thumbnail. Now we're down to two, the original and the thumbnail I presume.

Now... pretending that this photo and TN is a representation of what exists in my iphoto library, and I want to start over again, I remove the picture from my iphoto folder called "library" within the iPhoto app. It moves it to the trash IN iPhoto. I seach the computer, still have the two versions of "iPhoto Test" located in my data folder in the above directory.

NOW - when I empty the trash in iPhoto it says "sure you want to empty this trash, this cannot be undone" I say yes thinking it's just emptying iPhoto Trash, but lo and behold, when I search the computer again, there is no more "iPhoto Test" anywhere on the hard drive.

So... after all is said and done, what I believe this to mean is that if I were to toast all of the pictures I have in "Library" IN the iPhoto application, and subsequently emptied the trash in iPhoto, I would return to \pictures\iPhoto Library to find all of my pictures vanished.

OMG, I am soo sorry for writing all of this. Perhaps I should just find a book on iPhoto at the store. :p Seriously, I'm sorry.

Love,
Zarly Doug Walker

Reaction score
haha Zarly... you crack me up. I just read that whole thing. Made sense to me but the whole THING is just confusion! :Angry-Tongue: ;D

OP
Z
Reaction score
haha Zarly... you crack me up. I just read that whole thing. Made sense to me but the whole THING is just confusion! :Angry-Tongue: ;D

Well, if I can't figure out what I'm doing then the least I can do is crack people up. It's just the right thing to do.

ZDW O:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.