Issue with iWork Pages, envelope template

Reaction score
I am using Pages '08 v.3.0.1 on OSX Leopard.

When I go to File > New From Template Chooser, and choose Envelopes > Traditional Envelope for example, the main address block is far to far to the right.

When I print the envelope, it looks terrible. I need to move the main address block to the left about 1".

However I cannot move the address block. It seems to be locked.

What I've done: I've looked on the net and learned to turn on layout view. Using that, I can move and resize the return address block, but not so the main address block!

Any assistance in my frustration would be much appreciate. I don't really want to design my own templates, I'm hoping I can use the ones that come with pages, and just fix them up a little.

Bill

OP
B
Reaction score
Anybody have the same problem?

Does anybody have the same problem on their mac?

-Bill

Reaction score
I have pages 08, I'll run through it real quick and see what I get.

Reaction score
Looks like it is setup for a #10 envelope, is that what you are using?

Just for the record, I am also unable to move the address block but it does appear to be in the correct location making me think you may have the letter type setup incorrectly. You can change it by going to File>Page Setup

Reaction score
Ok, figured it out. For some reason (not sure why since I'm new to Pages) you can't just move the text box.

Click in the box twice so you can edit the text
You should now see two blue arrows in the ruler at the top of the window. One for each end of the text box.
Move your mouse up to the arrow for the left side of the box.
Move your mouse up JUST ABOVE that arrow, you will see something similar to <-|->

Click your mouse and move to the left, the entire box should move over!

OP
B
Reaction score
How kind of you to check into it. I see that. Very helpful. It's solved as far as I am concerned.

Note though that it doesn't seem work with the Vienna template...

Have a good evening.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MACBOOK with Leopard
Envelopes for MAC

I had the same issue. Unlike my PC where you click on envelope while your document is on the screen and it automatically creates the envelope for you. For some reason the MAC does not perform the same way.

The only way I figured out how to print a #10 envelope was to copy the address in the pages document and then click on new templates, choose the envelope style you wish to use and then paste the address in that template.

Hopefully that helps everyone. That said, if anyone knows how to make this work like it does on a PC, eliminating the cut and paste step, let me know.

Take care, Vic

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
intel Xeon 2x3ghz quad, 16 gig ram
I am able to take address cards from the address book and drag them into an envelope and it sets up fine. Problems begin in the printing module. The envelope size is set to #10 (9.5x4.12), orientation set to portrait. But it doesn't print. The envelope feeds completely out of the tray. But, if I put in a standard letter size paper, it DOES print 9.5 inches down the page. If I try to change the orientation to horizontal, it changes the layout of the page, but the text boxes and everything written on the envelope don't follow. They stay the same, so it is totally wrong.

Can't get it to work. Crazy. Better of just writing it out myself, instead of spending two hours trying to get one size #10 envelope to print correctly.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
I spent a bit of time setting it up how i want it using Easy Envelopes from;
Utilities | Ambrosia Software, Inc.
Now with that widget a couple of letters to get address from address book then select the preset envelope size on back of widget hit done and hit print - have not tried mail merge, but for single envelopes it is good.

Reaction score
Ambrosia Easy Envelopes

I downloaded the Ambrosia Easy Envelopes and printed. I changed the Epson Stylus 7400 printer setting to envelope. The result does not print the entire return address. The first and third lines cut off the beginning five characters and the second line is shifted over and it fully prints.

What is it with Apple Pages software that it can't print an envelope. I too can't get it to align properly. The template page setup is for an envelope set horizontally in the printer paper feeder. This feed orientation will not work for printers that I have. If you change Pages to an envelope setting with the page setup command, the text boxes are set up wrong.

The help in Pages doesn't even tell you how to print an envelope!

So now what do I need, a new template created from a blank page to fix the software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Not being a windows bod i cannot answer your comparative questions but for me it was a case of needing an easy way to print envelopes from addresses in address book and with a bit of trial & error on scrap paper and measuring an envelope i got it set up. But i do have have to select MyEnvlp once for printing a series of envelopes. I found that setting 95% and selecting Landscape worked with my printer. Here is a couple of picts to help;

Click for full size

Click for full size

Reaction score
Envelopes Do Not Print Properly!

I have wasted over two bloody **** hours trying to figure out how to print an envelope. I watched videos on YouTube, read this and many other blogs. I have a brand new laser printer. Yet I cannot get a properly printed address w/return on an envelope. I've tried all the methods, even downloading that stupid widget, which also did not work for me. This is a defective product (Pages) as far as I'm concerned as it does not do the very thing for which I bought the program in the first place. Quite surprising for an Apple product.

TMO

Reaction score
I spent a bit of time figuring this out. The difference on Pages is to make sure you go into File->Page Setup, make it set to the appropriate paper size (for me it was Envelope No. 10) and make it print with the orientation set up horizontally. For templates, edit and save the template after you change this setting and it should work in the future with no issue.

After that the printer took care of it automatically, as long as you feed the envelope in correctly.

Yamutha, not sure if you are still checking this thread at all but this should help correct your issue.

Reaction score
Issue w/iWork Pages, envelope tmeplate

TMO,

Thanks for your response. Will try it out. But I think the problem was with a combination of iWorks and the printer I was using. I finally figured out I can print envelopes by using the Address Book. I plug the address in the book and print from there. Although not perfect, the printing of an address w/return label passes muster. But I will try your method for a more accurate job.

Reaction score
Envelope tute

Go to file>new>envelopes and choose your envelope style. Type in your return and sending addresses and hit print. If you have a list of "to" addresses, use copy and paste to overwrite the last "to" address and print each one individually. I used to work on PC's and miss the mail merge ability, but this beats the alternatives!!

I then created a template from the last envelope. I can simply cut and paste new addresses each time I send something.

Hope this helps!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.