THERE IS a way to tab to non-text form fields in osx (and safari!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
All you do is go to system prefs, then keyboard and mouse. Once there click on keyboard shortcuts on the right. Then at the very bottom click the box that says "Turn on full keyboard access." VOILA! Now you can use the keyboard on all form fields! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Hmm.. Ill have to try that.. that's the main reason I do not use safari

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
Matt: normally in windows when filling out a form on a website or other things, I was able to use my keyboard for the whole thing. By pushing tab you are able to switch between the all form fields. The thing with OS X i was having trouble with lately was that it would skip over any non-text form fields (i.e a checkbox or drop box)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's why I went to Mozilla since I could tab to all form elements.

B

BlackOpSniper

Mozilla is really good,but I prefer Safari...READ MY SIGNATURE!!!i hate that one

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
gort said:
All you do is go to system prefs, then keyboard and mouse. Once there click on keyboard shortcuts on the right. Then at the very bottom click the box that says "Turn on full keyboard access." VOILA! Now you can use the keyboard on all form fields! :D

Thanks that was great help.

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PB 1.5, 512 ram, superdrive, one sexy computer!
yeah that bothered me too. However I tried this before and did it again and it still doesn't work. Like on pull down menus for example choosing your state. It skips over it!! :mad: HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm.. I just tried it and it works great.. man that's awesome. Although Mozilla still has way more than Safari so I will continue to use Mozilla, it's still good to know that there is one thing down and several more to go before I switch to Safari :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PB 1.5, 512 ram, superdrive, one sexy computer!
yeaeh still doesn't work. It doesn't do it in mozilla either. Whats a website to try? Pull down menus it should go to when I tab? It doesnt when i turned that on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you using 10.3.5? And you went into system preferences, Universal Access, Turn on "Enable access for assistive devices", then go back to system preferences and click on "Keyboard & Mouse" then "Keyboard Shortcuts" and click on the "Turn on full keyboard access" and make sure the "Keyboard Navigation" is checked.

That should do it for you. That's strange about Mozilla though, since Mozilla has it built in since it does not follow Apple's UI guidelines... When you tab it should go to all form elements, input fields, textarea fields, pull down menus, radio buttons, checkboxes etc etc..

Which brings me to a question. Does anyone know how to tab out of a textarea field?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.