Help! Lost music and pictures...

Reaction score
So, I was just cleaning out my computer, and I came across this application called "serial box". I have no memory of downloading this, or it ever being installed. So I tried opening it, and it wouldn't open. Something about it not being supported...I can't remember. Anyways, not knowing what it was, and it not working anyways, I deleted it. Turns out, that was a bad idea.

After I deleted it, it basically returned all my programs to how they started. So, iTunes had no music, iPhoto had no photos, etc. However, all my music and pictures are still on my computer, but when I open iTunes, for example, and press "import", my songs don't show up in my finder. Anyone ever heard of this? Am I screwed or what?

If you have any help, please let me know

Thanks,

Alec

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you also in your cleaning stuff up rename your HOME folder in OSX?

OP
A
Reaction score
Oooh, I did. It used to be just all small letters, then I decided, because Im bored, to type my properly...so it went from (making up a name here):

johnsmith to John Smith

So does that have anything to do with it?

Reaction score
That would do it. Serial Box had nothing to do with it.

There is a way to fix it; hopefully someone else can chime in as I can't remember exactly what you have to do.

OP
A
Reaction score
ahhh good. Ya, sorry, im a noob. I didnt think serial box would have had an effect, but I couldn't think of anything else, as all my stuff went back to original right after I deleted it. Anyways, ya if someone knows how to reverse this it would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

OP
A
Reaction score
Help (again)! Changed my home folder name...

I made a thread yesterday on this, and I really appreciate the help you guys gave me. But Im getting pretty frustrated because I cant figure this out, and Im scared I'll end up deleting something important.

So, here's what happened from the beginning:

Changed home folder name from: johnsmith to John Smith (fatal mistake...)

All my programs got restarted etc. I've tried googling all sorts of different websites for help on this, but I just cant understand/too scared, and I'm getting different information on different websites.

I changed new "John Smith" folder, to "John Smith_new", because the Apple site told me too. Then I logged out, and logged back in. Now everything is the same, except the home folder icon is called "johnsmith", and the other folder that actually has my pictures, music in it is called "John Smith". So, all that has happened is the names got switched, to my knowledge anyway.

I'm getting really fed up/confused and really dont want to mess anything up. If anyone can please give me a simple, step-by-step instructions, you have no idea how much I would appreciate it.

Thanks a lot!

Alec

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
OP
A
Reaction score
Yeah, I know I shouldn't have, I'm just stressing out. This, combined with final reports and exams coming up, It's not fun.

Thanks though

Reaction score
Lost home folder

I am no expert but I followed that link and it looks to me as though you followed the instructions most of the way but have one more step to go. I think that you should rename John Smith to johnsmith, then John Smith_new will be irrelevant. That's only my interpretation though, so don't trust me unless it makes sense to you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.