airport can't find networks

Reaction score
I have just installed an airport card in my Imac G5 1.8 running 10.3.9. My wife recently got a macbook 2.0ghz running 10.4.11. Her computer instantly detected all the wireless networks in the building and uses one of many that are not password protected. My computer sees my new wireless card but doesn't seem to find any of the networks. Airport even appears in the top right but the signal is grayed out. When I got into system pref, it says "airport is turned on but not connected to a network". When I open internet connect, no networks appear. Any thoughts on how I can get these networks to show up?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you be sure you plugged in the Antenna into the Airport Extreme card when you installed it?

One reminder here because you are new to the Forums. Talk of stealing WiFi from others it not really allowed here on Mac Forums.

OP
D
Reaction score
antenna is plugged in...
as for stealing wifi...sorry for the mistake there...I do know the folks I am "stealing" it from though and they're ok with it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
antenna is plugged in...
as for stealing wifi...sorry for the mistake there...I do know the folks I am "stealing" it from though and they're ok with it.

If the people know and are fine with it then it's between you and them. I just wanted to warn you in case.

What is the signal strength like on your wifes system?

Yours is an iMac G5? The one where the computer is built into the screen? You installed an Airport Express card? Where did you get the card? You should be getting some networks showing since your wife can. Is your Wife's and your system close to each other when you try?

OP
D
Reaction score
the signal strength is pretty good on my wife's computer whether it's near my machine or not. My Imac is the built in screen version. I got the airport express card at the apple store.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the signal strength is pretty good on my wife's computer whether it's near my machine or not. My Imac is the built in screen version. I got the airport express card at the apple store.

My iMac G5 has very good reception. That is why I was wondering about the antenna. The contact it plugs into is quite small. I had the antenna come unplugged on my Mac Mini once and I had to be very close to the router for it to pick it up. You say you are running 10.3.9?

OP
D
Reaction score
10.3.9 yup

I'm going to open the cover again here and check the antenna but I'm pretty sure I felt it click in nicely.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wish I could offer more help but if the antenna is working you should see some signal from something if you wife can. Will think on it more and get back to you.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
antenna is plugged in...

One other thing to note - if you don't use security on a wireless network, all of your transmissions (including credit card numbers and personal data) are being transmitted in plain text, over the airwaves. There is nothing stopping someone with even a modicum of savvy from intercepting those transmissions, completely unbeknownst to you and using it to steal your identity. If indeed you know your neighbor and they're happy to share, ask them to set up WPA security (at the very least) to protect both you, him and the rest of the machines on the network.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.