Xbox 360 to 30 inch HD cinema Display

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Ghz 17 inch
hi!

I was wondering if it is possible to connect my Xbox 360, which has HD component connectors, to my 30 inch mac display. Would it be better if i got a HDMI connector? Does mac offer a adapter?

-chris

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Doubt it.
HDMI will do you no good since the display does not have a HDMI connection.

It only has a DVI connection and requires a dual link dvi video card.
Have no clue whether the card in the 360 is dual link or not.

The only thing you could try would be to get the Xbox 360 VGA cable.
Then either a) a vga to dvi adapter and a dvi cable, or b) a vga to dvi cable.

Offer no guarantees that it will work, nor that it wouldn't damage the display.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Does mac offer a adapter?
No, mac does not offer an adapter because it is an inanimate object. Also the correct abbreviation for Macintosh is Mac. I also know you do not have a "30 inch mac display". Perhaps you are talking about products from a company named Apple Inc., commonly referred to as Apple. ;)

It would be cool to see the Xbox display to the 30 inch display, if it can take advantage of the full resolution. From the little I could find out, it looks to me like the Xbox can only do as high as 1080p. The Apple 30" display has a higher resolution than that.

Reaction score
Then either a) a vga to dvi adapter and a dvi cable, or b) a vga to dvi cable.

In order to go from an analog VGA signal to a digital DVI signal you will need more than cables to do the conversion. There are conversion boxes but they are pretty expensive: Example.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
In order to go from an analog VGA signal to a digital DVI signal you will need more than cables to do the conversion. There are conversion boxes but they are pretty expensive: Example.

Think he's correct. Didn't think about that side of the issue, but the 30" cinema probably doesn't accept an anaolg signal since it requires a dual link dvi. And my method above would be doing just that, passing the analog signal through the dvi cable.

OP
peekah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Ghz 17 inch
No, mac does not offer an adapter because it is an inanimate object. Also the correct abbreviation for Macintosh is Mac. I also know you do not have a "30 inch mac display". Perhaps you are talking about products from a company named Apple Inc., commonly referred to as Apple. ;)

It would be cool to see the Xbox display to the 30 inch display, if it can take advantage of the full resolution. From the little I could find out, it looks to me like the Xbox can only do as high as 1080p. The Apple 30" display has a higher resolution than that.

Oops my bad.

Need to learn this stuff. LOL

Reaction score

Just because it CAN display a higher resolution doesn't mean it has to. If you have HDMI, you can use an HDMI -> DVI adapter, since they are basically the same thing with HDMI also including audio.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.