iphoto image manipulation question

Reaction score
I was on the apple site and was reading through some info on Aperture. I found the blurb on iphoto, in iPhoto, the original is not modified. iPhoto makes a copy of the original, and then modifies the copy. Now is this an actual copy like another jpeg. Or is it like what happens in lightroom, does it just modify the exif data? If so this is a real pain I don't want tons of copies of the same photo.

Question 2.

I My MBP came with a free trial of Aperture. I didn't know what it was so didn't bother with it. Now I want to try it out and it says I'm past my 30 day trial. I tried to get a new key, but it still seems not to work. Am I SOL? I'd like to try it before I buy. I'm testing lightroom room now and am not really diggin it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
For Q1: After editing an image in iPhoto, it will look as though the original image has been changed, but you can always go back and "Revert to Original". You can always choose to create an actual copy if you'd like to go between 'em and compare or something.

As for Q2: I'm not sure if you can obtain an additional Free Trial.

M

MacHeadCase

I was on the apple site and was reading through some info on Aperture. I found the blurb on iphoto, in iPhoto, the original is not modified. iPhoto makes a copy of the original, and then modifies the copy. Now is this an actual copy like another jpeg. Or is it like what happens in lightroom, does it just modify the exif data? If so this is a real pain I don't want tons of copies of the same photo.

Question 2.

I My MBP came with a free trial of Aperture. I didn't know what it was so didn't bother with it. Now I want to try it out and it says I'm past my 30 day trial. I tried to get a new key, but it still seems not to work. Am I SOL? I'd like to try it before I buy. I'm testing lightroom room now and am not really diggin it.

Getting a new key? Surely not the legal way?

Your 30-day trial started when you booted your Mac for the first time. You'll have to buy the suite or never mind and get something else. Look up eBay or Amazon, they sometimes have sales.

OP
D
Reaction score
Getting a new key? Surely not the legal way?

Your 30-day trial started when you booted your Mac for the first time. You'll have to buy the suite or never mind and get something else. Look up eBay or Amazon, they sometimes have sales.

If I was looking to do it illegaly I wouldn't be asking here about it. I think it's dumb the way they time the trials that come bundled with a new machine. It should be like any other trial that doean't start until you open it for the first time.

Now I'm probably not going to buy aperture becuse I can't try it fist. Apple looses a customer. Doesn't seem like a real smart way to do things.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
I was on the apple site and was reading through some info on Aperture. I found the blurb on iphoto, in iPhoto, the original is not modified. iPhoto makes a copy of the original, and then modifies the copy. Now is this an actual copy like another jpeg. Or is it like what happens in lightroom, does it just modify the exif data? If so this is a real pain I don't want tons of copies of the same photo. . .

For Q1: After editing an image in iPhoto, it will look as though the original image has been changed, but you can always go back and "Revert to Original". You can always choose to create an actual copy if you'd like to go between 'em and compare or something.

domromer, when you import a photo, iPhoto does make an actual copy of it to your iPhoto Library. Any edits you do in iPhoto make changes to that Library copy. iPhoto only makes one copy though. If you imported a photo, rotated it, recolored it, cropped it, and reduced redeye, in the end you would have two pictures on your computer: 1) the original photo, and 2) the rotated, recolored, cropped, un-redeyed photo. If you then click "Revert to Original" like iLindzo said, your edited photo in the iPhoto Library will be replaced by a fresh copy of the original. All your iPhoto edits will be lost, but you will still have two photos: one original and one copy of the original in the Library.

On the other hand (and you do not revert), you can Export... the edited photo, which allows you to save your edited photo in Finder, alongside your original file. iPhoto will not have any knowledge of this file, since a copy of it is not in the iPhoto Library (the photo in the Library that looks just like it, and whence it came, is ACTUALLY an edited copy of the original). You will then have three photos on your computer: the original, the copy that has been edited, and the exported edited photo (which iPhoto now considers a different original photo).

A diagram would be useful here... :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.