Creating an application to run a terminal command on startup?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 2.00Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD
Does anyone know how to do this?

If you open up the terminal and run the command:

/System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background &

It makes your screensaver appear where your background should be - a very awesome effect!

Just want something that will open terminal on startup and batter in this command and then maybe minimize the window (closing it will end the effect)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
There's an application called "Backlight" that can do this. Just set it to start the effect on startup.

OP
Starky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The company who created that application has been sold and the software is no longer available so that's not too helpful

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD
Check out this thread at Onyx's forums. I use this script to start my animated desktop. Hope that helps. :)

OP
Starky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah that really did help thanks :D

Basically I just didn't know how to script in OS X.

One question though, it seems to cause lots of stalling up when logging in and out etc, any way to get around this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD
If by stalling up you mean that it's laggy, then it really depends on how graphic intensive the screensaver you're running is. The more resources it uses the more your MacBook will lag during any sort of use including login and logout.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The company who created that application has been sold and the software is no longer available so that's not too helpful

Ouch... that sucks. I have it on my comp at home... barring another solution I'll be glad to get it to ya somehow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok... here's another solution (I knew there were more... had to get home to look some more). Visage can do this, but it's not a freebie.

There's also SaverLab, which is free. It can also run Screen Savers in a window.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.