Can someone explain this to me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071028184428583

I've quoted a little bit from the article, but there's a lot more. I just don't know what I'm supposed to do exactly. And I don't want to screw up the system. Any takers?

have a lot of files that contains data in plain text format with different extensions -- things like .cfg, .dat and .tex. However, those files are not recognized by the Quick Look viewer. It is possible to make these other files visible with the default Quick Look viewers by simply adding a UTI (Uniform Type Identifiers) file reference to an application's Info.plist file.

For example, TeXShop is an application that writes Latex files in plain-text with the .tex extension. If you want to see these .tex files with Quick Look, conrol-click on TexShop.app in the Finder and chose Show Package Contents from the pop-up menu. Navigate into Contents, then open Info.plist with TextEdit and add the public.plain-text string to the UTTypeConformsTo key as follows:

First look for the UTExportedTypeDeclarations section in the original file:

OP
goobimama
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Well mkv files in particular...

Reaction score
Might be better off converting the .mkv to .avi or something. If you have Perian installed then Quicktime will play the file and whatever QT can play then so can Quick Look.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.