Quicktime 7.3 playback issues

Reaction score
Hello

I noticed that after upgrading to the new version of Quicktime, a plelthora of playback problems arose. The first and foremost being that for some reason, Quicktime will no longer reconise Perian or any other codec that I download or had downloaded. Biggest problem was trying to play anything with .AAC

I went back to 7.2 to correct thise problem

Anyone else have a similar issue and have a fix for it? I hate downgrading software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33 ghz, 15 inch, 3gb ram.
Hmmmm... I haven't seen anything yet on how to fix it. I was having trouble with my quicktime software also (some videos would not have sound). I just switched over to "VLC" (has a construction cone icon) and it took care of the problem. So unless you're set on quicktime you might try that.

OP
R
Reaction score
A Quick look on the perian forum shows that I am not the only one with problems. Apparently the issue seems to be with QuickTime and not any of the Codec’s. People on both Tiger and Leopard are having the same problems. Any reason why this would happen? Does apple have an issue with people using programs like Perian?

OP
R
Reaction score
Hmmmm... I haven't seen anything yet on how to fix it. I was having trouble with my quicktime software also (some videos would not have sound). I just switched over to "VLC" (has a construction cone icon) and it took care of the problem. So unless you're set on quicktime you might try that.

I would prefer to stick with QuickTime, mainly because I enjoy the simplicity of having one media player that can do it all (mainly because of perian support)

I just find this terribly inconvenient because I use Mac computers for both my professional and entertainment needs. Mac Mini hooked up to the TV with EYEtv, and my Mac book for when I am out and about.

Because I use this for essentially 90% of my media needs, this "flaw" has disappointed me (as I found I cannot go back to 7.2)

I'm hoping for a quick fix here either from Apple, or the good people who brought us Perian.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5
I would prefer to stick with QuickTime, mainly because I enjoy the simplicity of having one media player that can do it all (mainly because of perian support)

I just find this terribly inconvenient because I use Mac computers for both my professional and entertainment needs. Mac Mini hooked up to the TV with EYEtv, and my Mac book for when I am out and about.

Because I use this for essentially 90% of my media needs, this "flaw" has disappointed me (as I found I cannot go back to 7.2)

I'm hoping for a quick fix here either from Apple, or the good people who brought us Perian.

This is especially true if you use iMovie and iDVD often. for some reason, you can't ask iDVD/iMovie politely if it would use vlc instead of QT, lol O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

I like the simplicity of having one media player myself to "do it all". That said... you should consider switching to VLC. It seems more capable than Quicktime is overall. On my PowerBook G4, I actually HAVE to use VLC because some high res videos actually are too choppy in Quicktime, whereas VLC handles them without a hitch. And as far as I know, VLC can handle anything Quicktime can, and more.

OP
R
Reaction score
Well, now it seems that Quicktime is having a conflict with Toast Titanium 8. Im wondering if this was due to my tampering (uninstalling and reinstalling Quicktime). Im going to try re-installing toast and see if this makes a difference.

OP
R
Reaction score
ok, I had to share this because I found a really interesting way to play my files.

Quicktime supports the Video format, but not the audio format
VLC supports the Audio format, but not the Video format

My solution? Load the file in both media players, and synch them up as close as I can.

Is it the most practical solution? No, (not to mention I cant fast forward anymore) BUT I can finally use my files until there is a fix!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.