data migration from hard drive, as opposed to over firewire in target mode

Reaction score
i'm selling my macbook and getting a new imac. in an attempt to be fiscally responsible, i will be buying the imac after i have the cash in had for the macbook. i will do a carbon copy clone tonight, but when i get the new imac, how painful will the data migration be from the external hard drive to the new imac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo, PPC G4
Since both the iMac and MacBook are Intel machines, you should be able to clone the external to the new iMac unless the iMac can only run Leopard and the external is running Tiger. But you can use the Migration Assistant to move over many of your settings to the iMac.

Which operating system are you using now?

Claire

OP
briang
Reaction score
Since both the iMac and MacBook are Intel machines, you should be able to clone the external to the new iMac unless the iMac can only run Leopard and the external is running Tiger. But you can use the Migration Assistant to move over many of your settings to the iMac.

Which operating system are you using now?

Claire

i'm using leopard on the old, and the new is coming with leopard. so i can just boot to the external, clone the external to the internal, then rock and roll, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, just make sure you use the latest version of Carbon Copy Clone. Also, it's a good idea to repair permissions on the external drive first.

Good luck.

Claire

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
Yes, just make sure you use the latest version of Carbon Copy Clone. Also, it's a good idea to repair permissions on the external drive first.

Good luck.

Claire

Will SuperDuper do the same function?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No. SuperDuper! is not yet compatible with Leopard. Carbon Copy Cloner is and it's just as easy to use as SuperDuper!

Claire

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.