Looking for help connecting vista and mac os

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo (Aluminum & Glass) 260 GB HD
Okay, so here's what I've got:

Primary Computer: iMac with Mac OS X 10.4
Secondary Computer: Laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium
Wireless Router (WRT54G) (Connected to iMac)
HP Photosmart C5280 (Connected to iMac)

Here's What I want to do:

Create a Home Network, (wireless or wired.. doesn't really matter) in which I can share specific (or all, if necessary) files from both systems (primarily for pdfs, images, and a few microsoft word and excel documents) This is supposed to be fairly easy, but I am not very familiar with Networking a Mac to Windows, nor am I experienced with Vista. Both Computers are less than 4 months old.

I am also wondering if I can use the Mac as a server to share the Printer so that if I need to I can print something directly from the Laptop. I'm not concerned about the iMac being on when this happens, because either way I would have to go to the mac to print a document, and swapping the plug in from the mac to laptop isn't an option.

If anyone knows of any great tutorials or has any pointers I would be Extremely grateful. and if you could find a "dumby" version, it would be even better.

OP
bryans83
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo (Aluminum & Glass) 260 GB HD
I forgot to add my explanation for having a *shudders* Vista Computer, a)Because I cant find a laptop with XP, and b)We Live in a world where the Mac OS is still greatly and unjustly ignored, I have Photoshop, I use iPhoto, iMovie, iTunes, and Final Cut for my photos and videos, but there are just so many things out there that can only be done on Windows.

I work for a software company, and for the past 2 years I've made my voice known, that Mac software should be made too... unfortunately from a business aspect, Macs don't have enough Market share. oh well, I love Macs way more... they're so much more stable and easy to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 24 Inch
I would like to know this myself. Looks like you never got an answer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.