imac, is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
i recently purchased the 2.16ghz macbook ( one week prior to the new ones :( ) and i absolutely love it, its my first mac and my first computer that i have owned, i was just wandering, i would quite like to have a powerful desktop with an apple logo on it lol to complete my collection. If i were to get it it wouldn't be until november next year. The macbook is perfect for me at the moment but as my needs increase would it be better for me to get the imac for home use or would the mbp be a more functional solution?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
It all depends on what your needs are. Not to mention that there will be upgrades over the next year so it would be better to consider this question a little bit further down the road.

Personally I would go for a desk top since you already have the macbook, but that is just me.

Aby

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4Ghz 2GB ram
I think the iMac is worth every penny! I just got one a few months ago, being new to Macs, but I absolutely love it. Since you already have the portability of the Macbook, I think the iMac would be a good choice for desktop. It really is a beautiful machine.

Just my 2 cents...

Aby

OP
Mac_OS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thank you for everybodys help i will do just that, it will be my sweet sixteenth birthday and i will be treating myself to an imac i think. I think the imac is more likely to be upgraded as the macbooks have been recently upgraded ( to my annoyance one week after i purchased mine) lol im a total apple freak now i buy a macbook a month later i am planning my next...... you just cant beat them..... I think the macbook/imac combo would be a very good combo. What does everyone else think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
The iMac should last as it is for at least another four-five months till it is updated. That being said, the iMac is a really amazing computer. Since you already have a notebook, you should ideally go in for a desktop. Instead of a 15" macbook pro, you will get a 24" iMac!

OP
Mac_OS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea i totally agree, the macbook is an amazing notebook and an imac would be the perfect combo for me, very excited have been saving a long time and have over $4000, got the macbook for my birthday and next year will definitely get the imac (maybe ill even get it from my parents) well thank you for everyone's input, feel free to post more of your opinions below...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Forget the actual computer, you've got to decide about the desktop / notebook situation. Why did you get a laptop in the first place? Why do you think you want a desktop? If you got a desktop, where would that leave the notebook?

Mind you, you've got a year to decide :)

OP
Mac_OS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well basically i got this notebook because i needed one to do academic work and i knew it wasn't going to include anything too intensive. If i were to get a desktop it would leave my notebook as a travel partner and also for taking into school and i am also between three different houses all the time so it would be invaluable for those sort of tasks and finally for when i didnt want to be confined to a desk at home, so it would still get more than enough use. My imac would be for playing games on or dual booting with xp, and just as a system which is more expandable, more equipped for the future with expansion options, and has the capacity to do more intensive tasks without hindrance e.g. video editing etc (i think these things would be of interest to me especially as im doing gcse drama).... Also i would like one to complete my apple collection then i would have a notebook and a desktop. If i maxed out my macbook i.e. 3gb ram would that be sufficient?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66, ATI 1900, 5 GB RAM, 750 GB Storage
3bg RAM is good. iMac is a great machine. Little limited for intense gaming due to a small video card memory thats non upgradeable. That said I played World of Warcraft for 2 years on one with no real issues.

OP
Mac_OS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the imac i would purchase would come with 256mb of vid memory, im pretty sure that will be sufficient for me to do editing, i am undecided wether i actually NEED it, in all honest i probably dont but i have more than enough money and its my sixteenth birthday next year and i want to treat myself, to be honest its possible ill get from my parents, but assuming i wont, i WOULD be willing to purchase it myself, would a macbook with 3gb ram run software such as CS3,Aperture,Final Cut smoothly ?

OP
Mac_OS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no-one have anything to say?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 Ghz 4GB RAM OS X 10.5.1
Yes. Anything with RAM >= 2gb should run the majority of applications smoothly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
The macbook with GMA950 graphics will NOT run Final Cut studio 2. Final Cut studio 1 (that is, FCP 5 and others' that came out before Final Cut Studio 2) will run on the macbook albeit with a slight lag due to no graphics. However, Adobe CS3 and other apps will run fine on the macbook.

OP
Mac_OS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmmmm, my reasons for the imac exactly and it looks soooo good :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
http://www.ilugger.com/

And suddenly your Imac is a laptop!

In all seriousness though you have made it clear you just want an imac cause you are smitten with them. I agree they are great systems but you really need to wait and see what they have in store for next year before you decide.

Reaction score
what i would do if i was you, i would wait till next year, sell the macbook and purchase a macbook pro and also i would max out the ram with 4gb, MBP can handle all the applicattions you have mentioned, hope this helps

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sorry, but personally, this is a wasted space thread. None of us even know where Mac's will be a year from now. Talking about the purchase of computer technology a year off is wasted breath. Not only do we not know what the systems will look like nor have in them..... you, nor anyone else, has an idea of how your/their needs and wants may change over the course of a year period of time.

just my 2 cents worth

M

MacHeadCase

I entirely agree bobtomay.

No one knows what is going to be launched in January's Macworld 2008, how in the world can we even guess what will be in 2009?!?!?!

Reaction score
MHC you're avatar gets me everytime. I can't help but laugh.

That is all I have to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.