imac, is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Mac_OS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
Im not asking about 2009, im talking about 2008, but yes maybe macbook pro would be an idea, i will have to see where technology is in a years time.....

M

MacHeadCase

Even in six months time, whatever, it's impossible to reply to your questions.

We don't know where Apple goes, you dig? I think too that this is a useless thread, to be honest.

Hang around rumour sites and get your info from there. You'll find that most of the times for the most part, those rumour sites happen to be wrong: Apple is very tight lipped on what it will release and when they DO want us to know, they publish a press release.

OP
Mac_OS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
im not asking for info im asking for the pros and cons of the current imac

M

MacHeadCase

i recently purchased the 2.16ghz macbook ( one week prior to the new ones :( ) and i absolutely love it, its my first mac and my first computer that i have owned, i was just wandering, i would quite like to have a powerful desktop with an apple logo on it lol to complete my collection. If i were to get it it wouldn't be until november next year. The macbook is perfect for me at the moment but as my needs increase would it be better for me to get the imac for home use or would the mbp be a more functional solution?

thanks

In next November, that makes it in 2009, doesn't it?

So now you want the current iMac model??? You boggle my mind...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2 ghz intel core 2 duo processor, 120 gig hd, 1 gig of ram, leopord-macbook 80 gig ipod classic
heres my imput-
you just got a macbook and you said your between three houses. i just bought a macbook(which i cant have till chirstmas) and im between two houses because my parents are divorced. your 16(as am i)if i were you, id save that 4000 for my future needs. possibly a nicer car, college, or a really nice computer. but to have an imac at one of those houses is iffy. you cant use it all the time and you just got a new macbook. think if you really need it or if theres something else you could spend the money on.
honestly id get the MBP over the imac in this situation, fast and more portable.

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_OS
i recently purchased the 2.16ghz macbook ( one week prior to the new ones ) and i absolutely love it, its my first mac and my first computer that i have owned, i was just wandering, i would quite like to have a powerful desktop with an apple logo on it lol to complete my collection. If i were to get it it wouldn't be until november next year. The macbook is perfect for me at the moment but as my needs increase would it be better for me to get the imac for home use or would the mbp be a more functional solution?

thanks

In next November, that makes it in 2009, doesn't it??

No, that makes it November 2008... He clearly said Novemeber next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_OS

So now you want the current iMac model??? You boggle my mind...

Man, the kid just wanted some help, he wants to know our point of views and you start acting like mr smart pants?? come on man be nice to the kid... Even tho he is going to purchase the mac next year, he would just like to know if an imac would be a good choice...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The CURRENT iMac will not be around in 2008. If he is not getting one till then, there is no way to even know what will be available a year from now leave alone in a few months.

Todays iMac is a good system and I would purchase one if I wanted a new Desktop. Who knows what apple will do though by the end of 2008?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you plan to purchase next November, then wait until next November. Because your needs of today may not be your needs of tomorrow.

M

MacHeadCase

No, that makes it November 2008... He clearly said Novemeber next year.

A true setback in my math abilities. :Oops:

Man, the kid just wanted some help, he wants to know our point of views and you start acting like mr smart pants?? come on man be nice to the kid... Even tho he is going to purchase the mac next year, he would just like to know if an imac would be a good choice...

I can tell him till I'm blue in the face that today's iMac is good. Next year's? No one has a clue, only Apple knows and last Sunday when I went to have dinner at His Steveness' I asked him to help out Mac_OS and Steve told me this:

If I tell you, I'll have to kill you.

Joking aside, the question makes the thread pointless and useless.

Because no one knows and it takes up useless space t3h Tubez. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Imac G5 1.8Ghz 2Gb Ram & 820Gb of external hard drives
The macbook is perfect for me at the moment but as my needs increase would it be better for me to get the imac for home use or would the mbp be a more functional solution?

It seems strange that your crystal balls CAN find a question in the kids post that isn't there but CAN'T tell him what the imac will be like next year.

Mind reading is much harder than making an educated guess as to what a large company's product will be like in 12 months time. Its not likely to be a 12" screen with a 286 processor is it? I guess it might be slightly better than the current range;D

We know that he is in full time education and, by the sound of him, likely to at least go to college. We know he is between 3 houses and that, I assume, is likely to continue. We know that he is into drama/performing arts which is becoming more IT driven with the advent of YouTube etc. We know that he wants to be able to edit videos etc.

Will the imac of 2008 be able to do that? Well Apple would be in the poo if it couldn't wouldn't they?

So for all you who think this thread is a waste of time, the reality is that your posts were a waste of your and his time.

We have a mac loving youngster who wants to make apple part of his life. Give the kid a break.

I think that due to circumstances you should go for a mbp (as long as apple don's make it slower with a smaller screen, able to handle 2mb ram and have a b/w screen - but then we don't know what apple will do next year do we?) which will be more than capable of running anything you will need and will have decent graphics ability and screen.

PS - Keep on posting;D

M

MacHeadCase

Well here's what I think...

I find it rather odd that someone who has 15 posts:

1 - knows how this forum should be run

2 - knows everything there is to know about all the individuals involved in this thread

Which makes me question your true motives.

We are very well aware that this forum will not please everyone and that the unhappy ones can leave at any time, if they choose to do so.

So since I, and a great deal of others, think this thread is a waste of time, including your own, I will lock this thread now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.