Shared computers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I connect to school on my MBP via a wired connection at school. I pulled up Finder, and noticed there were 4 computers that showed up that weren't mine. I was thinking that maybe if i can see them, then they can see me. Is there anyway to turn this off?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66, ATI 1900, 5 GB RAM, 750 GB Storage
Turn off any shares you have on your computer. This will at least hide your files from users. The network will dictate wether you are seen or not.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I have everything turned off though, i just checked, and i just had a message saying that someone was asking for a password to get into my files. I didn't have this problem when i had Tiger, it's just that after i put Leopard on, i started to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have everything turned off though, i just checked, and i just had a message saying that someone was asking for a password to get into my files. I didn't have this problem when i had Tiger, it's just that after i put Leopard on, i started to.

That may have something to do with Leopard's firewall. Reportedly, Apple made some changes that supposedly leaves Leopard more "open" than previous version of OS X were. Tiger may have automatically been blocking those requests and Leopard isn't. Just speculation on my part though. *shrug*

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.