Photoshop and Aperture, or just Photoshop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Should I buy Aperture when I already have Photoshop CS3?
That's what I was wondering about...
Does Aperture offer anything useful that Photoshop can't do?

Reaction score
I have both, I use aperture for photo editing/selecting and then I use photoshop for retouching and printing from, the loupe function and stack tools in aperture are great.

OP
Sennec
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
What exactly is the 'loupe function'?
If you mean grouping pictures by 'stack tools', Bridge also has that ability.
So I'm not really convinced yet why I should (or why I shouldn't) buy Aperture.
Thx for commenting though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo 2 GB of Ram: 20 inch iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 3 GB Ram
I second the use of both. My workflow is so much quicker with loading images into aperture, doing the minor touch uos such as levels blah blah and rating them. Create albums based on whatever criteria, export them and then i print and do any major touchups oin photoshop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
aperture also has sending away for professional prints function that photoshop does not have, similar to iphoto.

Reaction score
Definitely worth it. Since I am not doing multi layer or advanced touchups, I wonder why I even got Photoshop CS3 since Aperture does everything I need. I think it is the best apple app (besides keynote).

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
I have both - I next to never use Aperture - maybe I'm just too used to Photoshop and need to spend a bit more time with Aperture for it to grow on me more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Check out Lightroom as well. It's like Adobe's version of aperture.

Photoshop is an massive editing tool. Aperture/Lightroom are workflow tools. They can let you make the same minor adjustments to a set of images and have them ready to display a lot quicker than doing them individually in PS. I've only really tested aperture very briefly, but Lightroom lets you catalogue and browse your images. It also has good PS integration as it's an Adobe product.

You can download a free trial of Lightroom, may even be able to get one for Aperture.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo 2 GB of Ram: 20 inch iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 3 GB Ram
My suggestion is to download the trials for aperture and lightroom and see which you like best. I was more partial to aperture as there are a few things in lightroom that bothered me, but i think in a few years lightroom will surpas aperture. But one of them is definately worht the investment when working in conjunction with photoshop and bridge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
Just downloaded the free trial of LR. It looks awesome. I can't wait to learn how to use this! I really like the web photo gallery feature. ;D

OP
Sennec
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I don't quite like the 'modules' concept in Lightroom.
However I'd like to download the trial of Aperture but I don't have a mac, yet.
Could I try it out in an Apple store?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ya most of them have aperture on them

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.