Internet problems...

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have 2 Macs hooked up to the internet (cable modem) via an ethernet switch. Everything's been running fine for months up until the other day when it decided not to work any more (despite not having changed anything!)

On the G4 the internet works fine but if it goes to sleep and is woken again, on the Mac mini pages will not load up on either Safari or Firefox (says server not found) despite it apparently being connected to the internet (green light in network panel). A restart sorts this but is a pain every time!

Reaction score
Sounds like a router problem. Check the IP addresses of your two Macs, they should be different numbers in the same sub-net (like 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3) They should not ever start with 169. Tell us what you find!

OP
P
Reaction score
G4 address starts with 82. and Mini address starts 192. (I am checking these on system prefs > network > Built in ethernet) does this tell you anything?

Reaction score
Yes, your G4 is grabbing the public address that your ISP is giving you. Your router should be getting that address, then sending the 192 series for your computers in the house. Since your G4 isn't set up to act like a router (nor should it be!) the other computers can't get to the net.
You mention an ethernet switch and a cable modem, what router do you have?

OP
P
Reaction score
The 'router' is 5-port 10/100 Network Switch.

I've been told in the past this may be the wrong kind but once I got it working and it worked OK for months I just stuck with it and assumed it must be OK!

Do you think this is the problem?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.