Reinstalling Mac osx software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33 ghz, 15 inch, 3gb ram.
Hey everyone, I recently inherited (via death of a family member) a powermac G4. I have a slight problem though, I can't do anything with the administrator accounts because they are password protected and I don't know the person's password. I thought I could rectify this by using my osx software that came with my macbook pro to wipe the system and start everything fresh but I can't even do that. Does anyone have any advice how I could actually put this computer to use?

Ryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
Insert your Mac OS CD and boot from the CD and then under utilities you'll find an option to reset the password. Just reset it to what you want and restart the machine and this time boot from the disk.

Reaction score
or you could just "buy" another copy of os x and reinstall, thats what i would do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
or you could just "buy" another copy of os x and reinstall, thats what i would do.

and by you saying "buy" you really mean download an illegal version of the os right?
edit: and for further information doing so is a) illegal and b) against our forums lovely rules

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, I'll try those things. i just wasn't sure if using the osx that came with my macbook pro would work on a powermac G4. I'll guess we will find out. Thanks for the prompt replies. I appreciate it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The DVD that comes with the MacBook Pro is 1) for that machine only and 2) for Intel CPU's. Your PowerMac G4 is a Power PC CPU. An Intel version of the OS will not run on it. You will need a copy of Tiger or whatever that will work on Power PC machines and you should get one that is not machine specific.

Do you know what Model the Power Mac G4 is? The CPU speed?

Reaction score
did i say download a illegal version? nooooooo :p plus dont give the give any hints here, this is a legit forum

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks dtravis7. I'm definitely gonna have to try that since the macbook cds aren't working. I'm not positive, but I think its the one that comes standard with 128 mb ram, and like a 60 GB hard drive. Don't quote me on that though.

I just looked it up online, it is the powermac g4 (digital audio).

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All right, got the password figured out. I feel some dumb, is all I had to do was hit enter the whole time, as in, there was no password at all, just a blank spot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.