Really need a suggesetion here...Macbook vs. Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hello.

I'm just looking for some help here...I'm having an extremely difficult time making a decision. Here is my quandry.

I would really like to upgrade my Macbook to a Macbook Pro.

I have found someone will to do a trade...My Macbook + $450 for his Macbook Pro

Here are the specs on the two machines
Mine:
Black 13" Macbook
2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB Ram
120 GB HD
etc...

His:
15" Macbook Pro
1.83 GHz
1.5 GB Ram
80 GB HD
etc...

Am I getting ripped off?

I really want the larger screen, I don't care about the hard drive size (will be using external), and I don't care about the DVD writer (will be using external for DL...If it's possible, if not, I don't care about DL)
The better video card would be nice as well.

Does that sound like a fair deal? Will I notice a huge drop in speed? I don't use many serious programs either...I'm a teacher!

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Black, 13.3 inch, glossy screen, super cool
Doesn't sound like a good deal to me. You'd be getting a slower computer (Less GHz, less Ram) and a smaller hard drive. Your MB plus $450 for a larger, slower computer doesn't sound like a good deal. That's just my opinion...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4/4/320/Leopard, 12" PowerBook G4 1.5/1.25/80/Tiger
Macofalltrades offers a base price of $500 for a 2Ghz MacBook and $700 for a 1.83Ghz MacBook Pro, all things equal.

So make that MacBook + $200, minus about $30 for the difference in RAM/HDD, and that makes about MacBook + $170. Cross check on eBay completed listings and that difference averages up about the same between the two.

Hope this helps!

As for your second question, I'd say the two are about comparable in "speed" for everyday tasks. You won't notice much of a difference except you'll have a little more screen real estate.

--Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Keep what you have. It is more than fine for your listed needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
Id say your MB + 200 dollars...MAX!!

And swap the ram.

This only assuming you need a larger screen and a dedicated video card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
keep your computer.

if you really want to uupgrade it sell it on ebay and then purchase what you want brand new with the exact specs....and plus it will be a ton faster

Reaction score
On ebay your computer (Macbook) is going for about $900 and his (MBP) is going for around $1000 - 1200. So if you are going to do I wouldn't give more than $200 cash.

The biggest difference is the 1.83ghz/1.5 ram. What do you do on your computer. If your doing videos/design/photoshop You'd probably like 2+ ghz and 2ram.

Personally I wouldn't because a bigger screen doesn't make up for a slower computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
i wouldn't but that's purely judging on specs if the mbp is what you really want then go for it, but not for $450, $200-$250 max, i personally prefer the portability of the macbook but next year i probably will be getting an imac for the more intensive tasks.

my two cents....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Keep the Macbook, use the cash for a monitor and RAM.

Reaction score
Yeah mate i say keep the your machine it is better, but if u want a bigger screen wat bout just gettin a good price screen for deskwork if that would help

Reaction score
Yeah your friend is unreasonable, spend the 450 on a nice dell monitor, or if you already have a desktop machine then buy a nice graphics card. Just don't trade that is a horrible deal.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advice.

I'm going to listen to all of you.

I've got my Macbook listed on ebay and I hope to get $900, which I will put towards a new Macbook Pro.

I guess my hopes and dreams are to be able to play some games on my Mac using Bootcamp.

Currently I run Parallels, and I'm not able to play too many games (I'm using a Macbook too)

I'm just hoping that a 2.2 GHz Macbook Pro running Bootcamp will be able to run some Windows games...Nothing overly high end...Is that possible?

Reaction score
I'm just hoping that a 2.2 GHz Macbook Pro running Bootcamp will be able to run some Windows games...Nothing overly high end...Is that possible?

If games is your main concern, I would really recommend getting the 2.4 with the 256meg video.

I currently use a MBP 2.4 with 4gigs of ram.(upgraded myself for less than $145) while its @home its connected to a 24inch Gateway HDWidescreen. I mainly play World Of Warcraft and a few older emulated games. IMO the upgrade to the 2.4 256 video is well worth the 400$

Reaction score
Hello.

I'm just looking for some help here...I'm having an extremely difficult time making a decision. Here is my quandry.

I would really like to upgrade my Macbook to a Macbook Pro.

I have found someone will to do a trade...My Macbook + $450 for his Macbook Pro

Here are the specs on the two machines
Mine:
Black 13" Macbook
2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB Ram
120 GB HD
etc...

His:
15" Macbook Pro
1.83 GHz
1.5 GB Ram
80 GB HD
etc...

Am I getting ripped off?

I really want the larger screen, I don't care about the hard drive size (will be using external), and I don't care about the DVD writer (will be using external for DL...If it's possible, if not, I don't care about DL)
The better video card would be nice as well.

Does that sound like a fair deal? Will I notice a huge drop in speed? I don't use many serious programs either...I'm a teacher!

Thanks.
I think it will be better, if you selling your current MacBook and Purchased the new ones ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
yea $450 is way too much
your computer generally has better specs
you can get a great monitor for $450
but, I agree with your decision to sell your mb and by one of the pro's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 2.33 GHz 3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM 200GB HD
My Macbook pro is great for gaming in windows through bootcamp. I can play Hellgate: London and even Oblivion at reasonable detail. I even have the older 2.33 with the Ati X1600, so the newer macbook pros would do an even better job.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.