Question re buying Mac OS software

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I hope it's OK to ask this question and that it doesn't contravene any sort of Piracy rules.
I want to buy some version of OS X for my Mac. (see the specs of it at the bottom) I have my heart set on Tiger but maybe my wallet will say that Panther is good enough, lol
Ebay has loads of Mac OS software for auction but how do you tell if the software will work on my system and not just the exact Mac it was made for?
Did I read somewhere that the colour of the disc is important?
BTW, I'm not talking about a CD-R copy of an original disc (or 3) I mean an original set of discs that the seller no longer has any use for.
Cheers,
Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Just be sure to get a Retail version of the OS. The discs should be black with the "X" on them. If they are gray they are restore discs and aren't the ones you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
10.4 will be compatible with all recent apps. There are some apps I use that require 10.4 so they won't work with 10.3.
You will need to purchase a retail copy. The B&W shipped with OS 8. You will obviously not find a copy of Panther or Tiger restore discs (the gray discs.)
Some people seem to think that G3's run faster with Tiger than Panther. A little more RAM will help in either case.
Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
You need to look for a "retail boxed copy" (or similar phrasing) in the description. Make sure it doesn't say "For MacBook" or "For iMac" or any other single model; those won't work."

The actual CDs should be dark, with a metallic 'X' design.

OP
Wabbit
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
As long as I know for sure that the dark discs with the silver "X" on them that I need I should be sorted.

**Spits on Grey discs** LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 800MHz, ipod 80GB
Hey guys, i got a problem too, since i am in the market for the Tiger, and they are not selling them in the store anymore, so i thought i will go ebay for the Tiger, but its REALLY messy on ebay, they use the picture of the retail version but written in FINE letter that its a upgrade disc or restore one or specifically for one machine, so is it unwise to buy one from ebay?

OP
Wabbit
Reaction score
Sillykid ... Ebay is fraught with dangers no matter what kind of stuff you are buying, be it software or housebricks. I've just bought eBay item #160185963561 which SAYS it's the full retail version. The seller has lots of good, recent feedback and I'll post on here when it arrives just in case any of you guys want to buy from the same seller.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.