Loose Hinge (MacBook Pro - 3rd Generation)

Reaction score
Hi all,
My other-half sat on my MacBook Pro today. Whilst this is probably grounds for separation, it has left me with a dysfunctional hinge.

The screen seems to go back a little more than before, and doesn't quite rest neatly along the bottom of the case (it doesn't appear stressed, but not comfortable either).

Additionally (and worst), when put at an angle, the screen shuts... Ruining some of my more slothenly (and thus favourite) MacBook-ing positions.

Does anyone know if I can either:
(a) Easily fix this by tightening the hinges
(b) Fix this by replacing the hinges myself (and where do I get them from?)
(c) Have to send this back to Apple for $$$

I am not covered by Apple Care, but am under warranty. I assume this makes no difference, as neither includes accidental damage.

Best,
Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
I know the feeling. I've had the same thing happen to me. I don't know that there's much to be done. If the computer still works fine, I don't believe Apple is going to do anything about it.

If someone does know of a fix, that would be helpful. I like to leave my computer open sometimes, and to do so, I have to prop it up with something small.

Ideas? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP LED 15" SR 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HDD, NIVIDIA 8600M GT 128MB
I refurbish Macs for a living and have found an awesome site where I go in times like both of yours.

http://www.macservice.com/

They can be a little pricey, but they are cheaper than Apple. Hope this helps out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
Thanks! I'll definitely look at it. I think I'm at the point where I'm almost used to the way the screen falls asleep.. ;)

Again, thanks!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.