Offset Problem, please help

Reaction score
Bought my macbook a few days ago an really please with it apart from one thing! The lid (Top) is slightly offset. When i close my macbook the top section does not sit sqaure with thr bottom section (keyboard section) The top hangs slightly over the bottom on the right and is slightly in on the left if you understand me. Is there nefing i can do (adjust some screws?) or do u suggest i just phone apple and ask for a replacement?

Thanks

Adam

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Bought my macbook a few days ago an really please with it apart from one thing! The lid (Top) is slightly offset. When i close my macbook the top section does not sit sqaure with thr bottom section (keyboard section) The top hangs slightly over the bottom on the right and is slightly in on the left if you understand me. Is there nefing i can do (adjust some screws?) or do u suggest i just phone apple and ask for a replacement?

Thanks

Adam

If it's just a couple of millimeters on either side, then know that they're pretty much all like that. The uneven tension of the hinge, and bending, flexing of the plastics under normal usage causes it. The MacBook Pro is the same way. I wouldn't worry about it.

Do a search for "Macbook", "gap" and "lid" - you'll see lots of threads about it. Sometimes Apple will address it, but don't be surprised if the replacement develops the same gap - it's just the nature of the beast.

OP
A
Reaction score
You say under normal usage causes it. Mine came like it? Is this pretty common for them to come like that aswel then?

Thanks for you help

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You say under normal usage causes it. Mine came like it? Is this pretty common for them to come like that aswel then?

Thanks for you help

It wouldn't be unheard of. Even if it were perfect when new, after a few weeks of normal usage it would likely have a slight gap on one or both sides.

Reaction score
i hate saying it but this is normal. I have had my macbook since august and I have run into all sorts of cosmetic errors. The computers insides have been fantastic...not a thing gone wrong but the outside is poor. Mine is a bit "offset" as yours is. Also, the frame around my screen is comming up. I actually sent it in to be repaired and it came back the same. I think apple is starting to be a little "lax" in the building process. Maybe cheaper plastics to? Im not gonna worry about it right now because Im sick of driving up to the store but eventually I will take it back in and tell them to fix it right. I have been very unsatisfied with Apple Tech crew in my area.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 1.6 - iMac 20" for the wife
Hi

Mine came like that too, I was extremely irritated about it. I was used to Vaio's, and the quality was just superb. The MacBook's built quality isnt that good, but I still love it. Mine also had the gap from the very beginning, and if I adjust it by hand, it goes back. (I know I shouldnt do that though... )

Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
As already said on here, the computer is fantastic, but the case is quite poor I think, sharp edges, thin construction, lets hope that they sort it out on the next models. If only you could get a Sony Vaio with a Mac system.

Chris

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As already said on here, the computer is fantastic, but the case is quite poor I think, sharp edges, thin construction, lets hope that they sort it out on the next models. If only you could get a Sony Vaio with a Mac system.

Chris

Trust me - having been in the PC repair business for some time, you DO NOT want a Sony Vaio if longevity is of any concern. Absolutely overpriced garbage. I'd take a Dell over a Vaio any day - at least they make replacement parts available to the general public.

Remember folks, laptops take a lot more abuse than desktops do. They are bent, flexed and moved on a very regular basis. Ultimately, they are tools that are designed to get a job done. A hammer can still drive nails regardless of how pretty it looks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 1.6 - iMac 20" for the wife
Trust me - having been in the PC repair business for some time, you DO NOT want a Sony Vaio if longevity is of any concern. Absolutely overpriced garbage. I'd take a Dell over a Vaio any day - at least they make replacement parts available to the general public.

Remember folks, laptops take a lot more abuse than desktops do. They are bent, flexed and moved on a very regular basis. Ultimately, they are tools that are designed to get a job done. A hammer can still drive nails regardless of how pretty it looks.

I dont know the US VAIOs, I bought all of mine in Japan, as I prefer the small versions, and they have been nothing but joy. The quality was excellent, much superior to the MacBook. Just like mentioned above, sharp edges, gaps here and there. However, this isnt to drag down Macs, after all I changed, and I dont regret it at all. I just thought to contribute to this thread with my experiences.

Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
To me I dont see what the big problem is with a few millimeters offset.... Its not like it makes the computer ugly or any harder to use. If it were say warped, pitted, bubbly or the colour wore off; maybe then I'd complain. But imo i think the macbook looks great! Especially my black one! The reliability and ease of fixing any issues that do occur have sold me on macs for life! My first computer was an ibm box with Win ME...omg that was horrible nothing worked right and it crashed at least 3-4 times a week..... If i knew macs were more reliable etc, I'd probably have an iMac g3 somewhere in my house lol!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.