Slow internet using Leopard

Reaction score
Hi

My problem appears to be linked with Leopard & using Airport to connect to t'interweb using a MBP.

The speed varies from very slow to dropped connection to normal. Sometimes it is like dial-up (remember those speeds!). I use a netgear router which I believe is not part of the issue as my imac (Tiger) flies using airport connection.

I have just ordered a 24" iMac (2.8ghz) which should arrive tomorrow to replace my G5 & I am hoping that surfing of this wont be 'strangled' like the MBP.

Anyone else with the same issue?

Cheers

Lammo

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Also on a MBP.
There are Airport issues with Leopard.
Make sure you have installed the update to 10.5.1. They have dealt with some of the Airport issues in it.
It has taken care of the slow downs it seems like. But, I am still having internet connection issues. It will randomly just not connect to the internet, although am still connected to the network and can bring up my router.
Simply turning Airport off and back on, allows internet access again.

And btw, does not matter which browser I am using.

OP
Lammo
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Bob.

Likewise it does not matter which browser.

I have updated to 10.5.1 so maybe the next update may work better.

I think the new imac will be connected directly to the router & I will monitor the speeds there. Just a bit annoying, I have also ordered a 20" for my Dad & as it will be his first venture into macs I will route his through the router (when I get one!). I would hate him declaring his new pride & joy 'crap' & blaming me!

Regards

Lammo

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, that'd bite.
Use mine at the opposite end of the house from the router. However, I have run a cat5 cable and put in a outlet for it next to my recliner. So I can live with it. But it'd be much easier if I didn't need it plugged in all the time.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Like bobtomay said, there are some Airport issues with Leopard, but that doesn't mean that you can't resolve some of your issues by doing a quick wireless tune-up.

Although I had no issues with my wireless network with my Windows machines, when I first got my MacBook Pro (running Tiger 10.4.6 at the time), I had issues that were very similar to what you're experiencing.

Just by changing the channel, enabling SSID broadcast, switching from WPA to WPA2/AES and updating the firmware, my wireless issues with the MBP were solved - and it continues to be fast and stable under Leopard.

IMO, the OS X Airport drivers have a "preference" for particular standards and protocols - and you will find that things run more reliably between driver revisions if your router is set a particular way.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, after reading your post cwa, decided I'd been getting slack and lazy on my Mac. So went and checked, and sure enough, there've been 4 firmware revisions for my router since the last time I did it. :Oops: So, we'll give that a try and see what happens.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, after reading your post cwa, decided I'd been getting slack and lazy on my Mac. So went and checked, and sure enough, there've been 4 firmware revisions for my router since the last time I did it. :Oops: So, we'll give that a try and see what happens.

Also, am going to try setting it up as 802.11n only and see if that helps. I had just "assumed" my wife's MB would be g, but on checking I think hers is n enabled also.

Reaction score
leopard wireless drops

Bobtomay,

I recently upgraded to Leopard 10.5.2 and started getting wireless dropouts with the only symptom being a drop in wireless signal strength by one bar.

These wireless dropouts would happen repeatedly in the course of a day.

I did some searching and found that others were having the same problem and that the fix involved simply deleting the airport preferences file, reboot, and Leopard will create a new one. Within this preferences file are wireless networks to which you've connected before and are saved as "recent networks". It appears that AirPort is randomly trying to connect to these other networks whenever your current wireless signal drops momentarily, but unfortunately, it loses the original connection permanently.

Removing these "recent networks" seems to stop the wireless connection drops, since AirPort has no other base stations to try.

Reaction score
I am a real novice, so bear with me.

My imac (24" 2.8) has been really slow lately. In the last couple of days, it keeps disconnecting, on a very regular basis.

I go into the diagnostics and find my router (BTVoyager) - along with several other neighbours routers. Click on that and it then requires a password. WEP password? I found the password number on a barcode at the bottom of my router. When I enter that, the connection goes live again. But if the machine is left for a while, or each time I come back to it, the connection has gone again, and I keep having to input the WEP password.

It says that Airport is on. What is Airport, as I have no other external devices?

Some of the previous posts in this thread seem to reveal similar problems to me, but some of your solutions mean little to me.

Any change of an idiots click by click guide as to a possible solution.

Thanks everyone.

XX

Reaction score
"Just by changing the channel, enabling SSID broadcast, switching from WPA to WPA2/AES and updating the firmware, my wireless issues with the MBP were solved - and it continues to be fast and stable under Leopard."

The above quote is the sort of thing I dont understand - sounds like the solution. but I have no idea what it means, or how to do it.

Thanks again.. xx

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.