Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-105 problem

Reaction score
I'm trying several forums in desperation. My iMac G4 has stopped accepting CD's and DVD's except for some commercial music CD's, which still seem to play. Otherwise the drive thinks about the disc for a bit and then rejects it. I can't burn any CD's anymore, but get an error message 0x80020040. It was suggested that I need to replace the optical drive and, failing any other suggestions to try before that, I guess that's what I'm going to do. I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Reaction score
Go to Newegg.com and order another Pioneer. I think there now is a DVR-106 out, same drive basically.

Reaction score
ebay for a new 105 on ebay, but i wouldnt search by super drive because they may mark it up for knowing it is mac compatible. My 105 works great still and i just bought a pioneer 112 for DL burning

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day from Down Under.

Was having problems with my 105 and of course no mac firmwire updates, or so I was told.

Do a Google for LasVegas software, one word, and look for the 105 update X707, download and install.

Burns faster and no more problems for mew. Good Luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.