Microsoft Word???

Reaction score
Having just recieved my new iBook i am slightly dissappointed with the word processor included, at first glance it seems quite basic. It's probably just something to get used to having used MS Word all my life. But is it worth getting Word for Mac, i haven't had time, or any project with which to test it yet, but what does everyone else think.
To word or not to word? Does it even work well on OS X or have microsoft just made a sub-standard programme to p*** off mac users?

Also why does Word on it's own cost more than Office?? Any ideas?? :confused:

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Definitely get Word.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
get office 2004.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Icarus said:
find a college student to buy it for you - Educational Discount!

As long as you're ignoring the license agreement, just pirate it!

[EDIT: The above is sarcastic. Please don't ban me.]

D

daxdagr8t

If you buy the student edition, they will give u three license.I bought the student edition and still have two license because I am only the mac user in the family.So if I were u, if you can find one or two guys and buy office 2004, you can split the cost into three.

I

Icarus

technologist said:
As long as you're ignoring the license agreement, just pirate it!

[EDIT: The above is sarcastic. Please don't ban me.]

LOL
LOL
LOL :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Did somebody say to warez it?

I hope not... because that would be bad.

OP
mig.gentry
Reaction score
Ok so i get the picuture, i should get word!!
i'm already a student so will get a discount as i did on my iBOOK(which i also got £130 cash back on!!). I'd love to split the cost with some friends but none of them have got the guts to go mac. Thye're all pooing themselves about compatibility issues, gimme some time to figure out my iBook and i'll see about 'educating' them...Sopranos style if necessary!
Cheers Agian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Absolute Zero said:
Did somebody say to warez it?

I hope not... because that would be bad.

BT.... ;)
good the share! init zero. Lend me your PowerBook mate... :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's good to share, but not when it's copyrighted... and no, I'll keep my PowerBook, thanks. :)

Reaction score
Office:mac 2004 is really great if you can get it. Office for Mac is even better then Office for Windows.
If you are looking for an open source alternative you can try Openoffice.org. I have not tried it on a Mac yet since I have Office:mac 2004.

I have heard from others it (Open Office) is pretty sluggish in OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
OpenOffice runs fine on Linux and Windows (allthough slower than MS Office) but it just simply sucks on OS X.
I tried it, and I think it will get better when it finally runs natively on OS X. But as long as it uses X11, just forget it...

H

Haylcron

I have open office on my linux mandrake box, and it takes forever for "word" to open. If it's slower on OS X, I'm glad I've decided to avoid it.

L

Lasha

I think that it's been proven that Microsoft Word works better on Macs than Windows PCs themselves.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.