Realbasic Programming Question

Reaction score
Is realbasic worth buying? is it a powerful programming language, or it going to be useless in a few years?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
It looks like a good development environment and has been around and continually upgraded for years. One advantage it has is that it is designed to allow for cross platform development and distribution.

If you have some specific thing you want to create, research your other possibilities such as Objective-C & Cocoa. It is a good idea to know if the tool will support your imagination.

OP
S
Reaction score
i'v got some ideas for little funny games i want to create but want cross platform dev so i can run on win/lin/mac, to my knowledge xcode isn't on windows yet is it? im not sure if its on linux yet either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Correct, XCode is only available and compiles only for OS X.

I would think if the games are not demanding 3D type games then you could use Realbasic. Do an online search to see if someone has done something similar. They may also direct you to available libraries that can help you not recreate some of wheels involved. In that case I'd read any third party licensing very carefully.

Good luck.

OP
S
Reaction score
no, not 3d, just simple games and may get into more complicated video conversion apps, just simple games for right now i need to learn how to program games before i get into the complicated stuff, im hoping by the time that happens apple will have released xcode for linux to compile for linux, but who knows.

OP
S
Reaction score
eehh, i dont really care for java, its great for web apps, but a poor choice in desktop apps, everything i have used other then eclipse is slow, plus i dont like the idea of someone being able to decompile my app and get all my code unless i go through the trouble of compiling class files in c or c++

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Java has been proven on numerous occassions to outperform C++

Is your code really that valuable that people will want to decompile it??? I mean really??? If so there are code Obsfucators out there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Java has been proven on numerous occassions to outperform C++
References? That would be an interesting read.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
References? That would be an interesting read.

Yeah surprised me at the time of reading too. Sorry no references but if i find the articles again i will link them here.

Note - Java is only faster at certain tasks not all tasks!

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In fact now that i think about it, it may actually have been in one of Sun's video podcasts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.