general cpu question

Reaction score
i originally ordered a 1.7ghz g4 with out L3 cache, when i got it didn't work, the guy replaced it with a 1.4ghz g4 with a 2mb L3 cache, and its extremly fast, from the time i push in the start button to the time the log in screens comes up is about 3-5 seconds, faster the my pc start up time. im just curious if the 1.7ghz would have been faster or is the 1.4ghz actually faster because of the L3 cache?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have not personally tried this but it's said that the 1.4 with the large L3 cache is faster in many ways and benchmarks than the 1.8 even with the smaller cache. There are sites who have run some tests proving this. If I can find them again I will post the URL's for you.

Really though what you are seeing is Boot Up time and really the CPU does not make that much difference there. Running some demanding applications doing say compiling, Compression, ETC is where the difference would really show.

OP
S
Reaction score
i know with the 400mhz it took like minute or so to boot up. i know its alot quicker in opening applications and dmgs and so on, im very pleased with it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
i know with the 400mhz it took like minute or so to boot up. i know its alot quicker in opening applications and dmgs and so on, im very pleased with it.

I am glad you are happy as that is the most important thing! Glad you finally got a CPU that works!

Which brand CPU did he send you in replacement?

OP
S
Reaction score
it looks like a fastmac g4, same type of heatsink and fan, real nice, didn't even require me to install there firmware, just needed the apple firmware unlike the powerlogix, truely a plug n play..lol...i can finally watch movies at full screen..now if i can just get the sata controller working.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it looks like a fastmac g4, same type of heatsink and fan, real nice, didn't even require me to install there firmware, just needed the apple firmware unlike the powerlogix, truely a plug n play..lol...i can finally watch movies at full screen..now if i can just get the sata controller working.

Do you have a SATA card? If so which one?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.