my hard drive is almost completely filled

Reaction score
im new to macs so this may just be a normal thing, but i still dont know what to do. i am using an ibook g4 1.2 ghz, 1.25 gb ram and a 30 gig hard drive.i just upgraded from tiger to leopard and did a clean install, so i started fresh. i have barely put anything on the computer so far, just updates, iLife, the normal stuff, and my hard drive is almost completely full. I only have 7 gigs of hard drive space left and i cant figure out where it all went. can someone please help me figure this out so i can have some space to put other stuff besides the os
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
While installing Leopard did you install all the printer drivers and language files? Cause those take up a lot, and I mean, a lot of space. Also, use Xslimmer to slim down applications by a large amount, especially those iLife apps.

OP
C
Reaction score
yeah i installed it all, but i still dont see how the os could take up close to 30 gigs off space. im wondering if theres anything drastic that i can do to free up space cause its killing me, im now down to 1 gig and its really limiting what i can do on this machine, i dont want to have to buy a new hard drive, i just want to clean this one up, maybe put my personal stuff on an external hard drive and then clean install? what do you suggest

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, CAUTION5697.

Just to let you know that even if you do find a way of eliminating some stuff and saving disk space at the start, a 30GB hard drive, by today's standards, isn't really big. You'll have to change that HD of yours somewhere down the line for sure.

Don't forget the system takes up empty disk space on the internal and uses it as virtual (swap) memory when physical RAM is short.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
And if you subscribe to .Mac and are syncing your iDisk, you have 10 gig gone there.......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33ghz 2 Gb RAM 160GB 17" Glossy...
buy an external.. 30 gigs is ridiculous in this day and age.. this isn't the 80's....they are more than cheap enough.. slickdeals.net

try it out...

OP
C
Reaction score
i know that external drives are a lot easier, but i want an internal one cause i dont want to have to lug around an external drive all over the place, so im looking for an internal drive, between 100gb and 160 gb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Take a look on Newegg.com. You should be able to find something to fit your computer and swap it out yourself without too much headache.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
After formatting, a 30GB HDD will be reduced to about 27 GB and Leopard with those printer drivers installed will take up about 19GB. As the HDD needs to be about 15% empty to operate at its peak, you can see you are pretty close to the line already.

Why not look for a larger HDD and pop the current internal into an external case and use for backups?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4/1 GHz (Early 2004)
thanks for posting this question...........was planning on ugrading to leopard with a 30gb HD
Now i gotta think about HD...

transferring to mac has been the best and worst computing decision i have ever made

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2 GHZ, Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 80GB Internal HD, 500GB External
Just before you install OS X uncheck the Printer Drives, Additional Languages and the Office or iWork Trials, that should save you about 2-3 GB of space then download XSlimmer and slim down your apps and you will be surprised at how much you can save from it, when i reinstall my OS after the updates i always use xslimmer to slim everything down i save 3-4 GB, even more if you have download apps e.g. firefox, photoshop etc...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
transferring to mac has been the best and worst computing decision i have ever made

Start a new thread explaining this, and maybe we can help alleviate some of your frustration...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.