Cannot get Gmail smtp server to work in Apple Mail

Reaction score
Hi I have Leopard installed and I want to configure the Gmail and use the Apple mail with it. I am able te read messages, but not to send. I keep getting the following message when I try to configure the account.

The SMTP server ¨smtp.gmail.com¨is not responding. Try checking the network connection, and that the server name is correct. Otherwise, the server might be temporarily unavailable. If you continue, you might not be able to send messages.

After this I continue to change the configurations as Gmail says. Though, I am not able to get the outgoing mail to work..

Can anyone help me with this? I would really like to use Apple Mail.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66, ATI 1900, 5 GB RAM, 750 GB Storage
you have it selected as a Pop account in mail preferences i am assuming. You also have your gmail username and password entered? Port 465 enabled for outgoing mail?

Reaction score
This is a bug. I constantly have this problem. I must r-enter my password all the time. This happens with Entourage mail and AppleMail. This is another issue I brought up with the Genius dept at Mac. They couldn't fix it either.
Just keep entering your password until a real fix comes along.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
Try using the SMTP-server of your ISP for the GMail-account. I do that and it works just fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.