Reinstall Tiger over Leopard

Reaction score
Hi - I'm considering getting a new 24" imac :D but I'm concerned about the compatibility issues between Adobe CS3 and Leopard. At the moment I have a mac mini for which I have a Tiger install disc. Two questions:

• Can I use the Tiger disc to install Tiger over Leopard on the imac?
    If I do install Tiger over Leopard, does the imac come with a Leopard install disc so that I can install it at a later date (when compatibility issues are sorted)?

Would appreciate your advice - thanks O:)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Besides being against the EULA and frowned upon in discussions here...
No, you wouldn't be able to use your Tiger disk to install it to the iMac.
The disc's that come with the machines are machine specific - (hardware wise to my understanding) - and would not work.

If CS3 is a big issue for you, would suggest waiting until Adobe gets it all sorted out. Shouldn't be longer than another month or two at the most I would think.

On the other hand, an Apple store near you, may still have some with Tiger on them and just have the Leopard disc supplied. Be worth asking about. I know how that bug for a new machine hits.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. The Tiger disc I have is separate from the install/restore discs I had with the mac mini (which came with Panther installed). It is marked as a CPU drop in DVD - is it still the case that it won't work in a new imac?

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.