Leopard made MBP noisy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
I can just about accept the fact that I've paid £90 to 'upgrade' my Macbook Pro to make it take longer to boot, feel more clunky, have a backup tool I can't use because I don't have a spare drive, to have a really shoddy imitation of virtual desktops on Linux, run an operating system that made me want a Mac in the first place, a messier interface (what are those new folder icons all about?) and a cover flow system that can't redraw fast enough even on a top end machine.

What I really can't get over though is that the Leopard update has made my Mac really noisy. My MBP was silent under Tiger. At first it was really noisy but it was just Spotlight indexing everything. Now that is done there is a distinct, constant noise. It's coming from the left of the notebook and it sounds like a combination of the hard drive and fan.

I left it overnight just in case there was any first-run tasks that needed to be run but it was still the same. I have done the update to 10.5.1 and have also reset SRC and PRAM.

Any ideas how I can fix this? If I can't I'm going back to good old Tiger. At least after downgrading from a newly released operating system because it doesn't run properly even on new hardware at least means I'll have something to talk about with Windows users . . .

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't know....
My MBP with a clean install of Leopard took 2 seconds longer to boot than Tiger did when machine was new.

Doesn't feel that much different to me.

It's not really Leopard's fault that your data is not important enough to you to have a backup system in place.

Don't use the virtual desktop myself - am too slow and getting senile, can't keep track of more than one thing at a time.

Think a lot of us agree that the old menu style operation by right clicking in Tiger was more user friendly than stacks.

Coverflow, love it. You do have to allow it to draw them on the first scroll through, which is pretty darn quick on mine. And then have no issue at all flipping back and forth as fast as I can move my finger across the trackpad (though not as fast as it use to be) through pictures, documents, etc. on my MBP.

Have no noise on my MBP either, zero, no difference between 10.4 and 10.5 at all.

The above applies to the wife's Macbook also. Her machine got an Archive and Install rather than a clean install.

First question I would ask, did you do the simple upgrade or the archive and install. There have been various issues surrounding simple installs.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
I did an upgrade rather than a fresh install. I can see how a fresh install should help with stability of programs, etc but I don't see how it would my fan go more often.

When I say it makes a noise it is still very quiet but before I never got any noise from my MBP unless there was a disc spinning. Occasionally the fan would fire up for a few seconds but that's it - it was totally silent.

Is your MBP Core or Core 2? Mine's only a 32-bit processors. Maybe that makes a difference, I don't know.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't know either, mine is the core 2 duo.
There have been quite a few threads with some issues related to the simple upgrade that had been resolved by going back and doing the archive and install option. And it seems, this is the option recommended by all the long timers with a Mac OS.

Did all three types of installs on mine just to check them all out. Which included a restore back to Tiger prior to trying the next install option.
(For others reading this, will add also, that I was using several of Unsanity's products in Tiger. But, I also knew from my own experience, you never leave a thrid party app: A) loading at startup, or B) running at all, especially when it is one that modifies system files during an upgrade process to the OS.)

I did have multiple issues with the simple upgrade.. Safari wouldn't load is the only one I can remember now (senility showing). I expected issues with this install due to the way I mangle my systems, especially a new one.

The Archive and Install - only played with it for about 2-3 hours, but found no problems with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.