What does it all mean?

F

Fomer

RealNetworks has launched a site and petition for Apple to open up its Ipod for other services other than, just the Itunes Music Store.

My question... I was really considering getting one, but I have not bought one song from Itunes. My 600 song collection is from CDS, friends, and.... what's a sly way of putting... "other means" ;)

So, am I understanding this right in the fact that these files won't be able to be added to my Ipod?

If so, is there an alternative to the Ipod for us Apple users?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
The Realnetworks offer can be loaded to iPod

OP
H

hollerz1

All your songs that have been ripped from CD's, Friends and "other means" CAN be added to your iPod! It supports AAC, MP3, WAV, AIFF of the top of my head, not just songs bought from iTunes!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You should have no problems. Realnetworks is trying to throw yet another format into the mix.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Let's face as long as there is the mp3 format, there is no problem. If Realnetworks really wants to compete just use the mp3 format.

OP
T

TylerMoney

real is doing what almost any company in their possition would do. They really want nothing to do with microsoft...they've had some problems with them in the past, and kind of hold the grudge. They don't want to go out of business....but if they don't get some connections, it may happen. So they see that Apple is the leader right now, and want a peice of it...and feel they should be able to have a piece of it. Maybe they're right, maybe their wrong. Either way, it'll be a while before Apple is happy with it. I could care less. I boght the iPod; my music is either purchased from iTunes, or I don't buy digital. I woldn't be against buying from someone else, just seems easier..I already have iTunes, and iTunes has more music than any other online service. Why would I bother choosing someone elses service? Though, I feel that maybe I should be able to if I chose..bt really, I'm getting everything I need or want right now, so I'm not too worried about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.