Changing Password

A

Andy B

Hi,

I'm trying to create a small network but am finding it impossible to connect via Apple share as I can't remember my password. I don't seem to be able to change it. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Andy.

OP
B

Badger

Normally you can change the password in File Sharing simply by erasing it and inserting a new one. But there is one way that can block this. Go to the File Sharing control panel, click on Users and Groups, click on the icon for the owner and click the edit button, when the new window opens check the box to allow the password to be changed. Then go back to the main File Sharing window and change the password.

OP
B

Brian Howlett

I have a slightly similar problem. We have a small network via chooser and Appleshare, however to connect to each machine we have to logon as guests.

Is there a way to permanently connect to each machine as a registered user if you do not know the password for each machine?? All machines have User Names i.e. Brian etc.. but not sure if changing the password will create a problem, especially if I don't know the old one.

Hope you can help!!

Brian

OP
B

Badger

The easiest way to do this would be to give a guest user the same access as a registered user then you don't have to worry about passwords. The downside is that there is virtually no restriction for access. In the sharing dialog box you can set share this item with everyone and give them read/write access. If users on the network want to restrict access then you can create specific folders that are shared, such as dropboxes or pickup boxes. Unfortunately you'll have to set this on each computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.