hard drive upgrade with out loosing data

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb
hi guys

well i have just got a a nice new 250gb hard drive for my macbook but need a way to make like and iso or something of my current hard drive (100gb) so that i can fit my new hard drive and when i install leopard on it let it copy and set up all my files like on my 100gb drive

is there a easy way to do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
Something you may wan to do is buy an external hard drive enclosure to put your old drive in. This will also make it very easy to migrate your data. I'm doing this as I type actually. I picked up an external drive enclosure that has a USB connection (no firewire though) at Radio Shack for $25.

I used Carbon Copy Cloner, and just cloned my hard drive with it. Then the external drive is bootable. Or...at that point you can just pop it out and put it in your computer.

-Nick

OP
proxy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well sorted thanks for the help so what i did was take my old hard drive out and rip apart an wd passport drive i had kicking about and used to to plug my old hard drive in over usb then installed leopard to the new hard drive in my macbook then used the copy files from another place on this computer to copy all my programs apps and data across

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Here's a question to piggy back on this one, apropos to the topic.

I plan on doing the upgrade to Leopard as part of my own internal hard drive upgrade. I'll be doing the 'get a SATA firewire enclosure for the current drive, swap out old drive for new [bigger] drive, put old drive in enclosure, install Leopard fresh on new drive, drag my data and apps over from old drive when done' method. The old drive will then become additional space when at home, or possibly I might pack it up with the rest of my kit so I can have it with my Mac all the time depending on how portable/obtrusive it is. My current external is a full size, and kind of bulky to cart around.

I know that about 99% of my apps will drag right over to the new Applications folder, but what about Photoshop CS3? I know Adobe is one of those vendors that doesn't necessarily package up it's stuff correctly, and since there will be no adobe things in /Library, etc. I'm going to have to Install from CD, aren't I?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Here's a question to piggy back on this one, apropos to the topic.

I plan on doing the upgrade to Leopard as part of my own internal hard drive upgrade. I'll be doing the 'get a SATA firewire enclosure for the current drive, swap out old drive for new [bigger] drive, put old drive in enclosure, install Leopard fresh on new drive, drag my data and apps over from old drive when done' method. The old drive will then become additional space when at home, or possibly I might pack it up with the rest of my kit so I can have it with my Mac all the time depending on how portable/obtrusive it is. My current external is a full size, and kind of bulky to cart around.

I know that about 99% of my apps will drag right over to the new Applications folder, but what about Photoshop CS3? I know Adobe is one of those vendors that doesn't necessarily package up it's stuff correctly, and since there will be no adobe things in /Library, etc. I'm going to have to Install from CD, aren't I?

Immediately following the installation of Leopard, you'll be prompted to run the Migration Assistant. One of the options is to recover your settings/documents and applications from a backup disk. Just pick that option and it should import everything from your old hard drive. I don't believe it broke any of my apps, except MS Office.

OP
proxy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Immediately following the installation of Leopard, you'll be prompted to run the Migration Assistant. One of the options is to recover your settings/documents and applications from a backup disk. Just pick that option and it should import everything from your old hard drive. I don't believe it broke any of my apps, except MS Office.

lol this is what i did and is how i have done my last ibook to macbook upgrade and this hard drive swap the other day but over usb speed had my mac out of use for just over a day but fire wire should b a lot fast

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.