Leopard won't install-Says to run Disk Utility

Reaction score
Around 4 weeks ago I started having a few problems with my MacBook Pro. For example Safari would not load, then I was unable to run Excel, etc. It seemed something got corrupted by OS X. I had a backup that was done using SuperDuper to an external hard drive and I was able to boot to that fine. I did a complete restore of my hard drive from this backup and my computer has worked fine for the previous 4 weeks.
Last night I decided to install Leopard and in case anything is wrong with my Tiger installation I decided to do a fresh install. I backed up all data to another hard drive and did a fresh install. I chose this when I put the Leopard disc in and it did a complete format of my hard drive. I expected it to proceed fine and then I get to a yellow screen with an exclamation point saying it can't install to this hard drive and to run DIsk Utility. The problem is how do I run Disk Utility when it's a blank hard drive? Can it somehow run from the Leopard or even my MacBook Pro's original TIger install disks? I can't help but wonder if it's some type of hard drive problem but yet after my issue 4 weeks ago it has worked fine. Any idea how I can get around this by running Disk Utility or anything else like that?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Boot with the Leopard DVD. When you get to the install screen, Click on the tools drop down and open Disk Utility from there.

OP
M
Reaction score
I gave that a try but it did a verify and said everything is fine with the hard drive. I read up some elsewhere and it seems the problem is I need a GUID partition table. I think why I'm running into this problem is I bought this MBP about a year ago with a 160GB hard drive. About 4 months ago I upgraded it to a 250 GB hard drive by mirroring my 160 using SuperDuper. I read elsewhere that this could be the problem and the best way to do this is reformat my drive as GUID and then set up Leopardl. I've done a complete format with Disk Utility though and it's still giving the same error msg. Any other ideas of what I can do?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.