How to install/migrate to new HD?

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
My warranty-exchange hard drive finally came in. How do I get my files/apps/everything onto it?
I don't have an external enclosure, but I have two MacBooks.
I was thinking I could switch my HD into one of my MacBooks, setup OS X, then migrate from one MacBook to the other. That doesn't work.
I installed my new drive into MB One, then inserted the OS X install disk, and started it up. I get to step two of setup, when it asks me where I want to install OS X. The hard drive doesn't show up. Am I missing something? Is the HD DOA?

Reaction score
as far as a good way to transfer files what you can do is put them all on the working macbook then once you get os x installed on the new macbook then you can connect the two with a firewire cable and power up macbook with the files and hold down the "t" key while it boots up....this will turn it into an external hard drive and you can drag and drop the files onto the macbook with the new hd....

as far as your hard drive being DOA....that is a possibility....i have had similar problems in desktop computers and usually the problem stems from the connection or often a new hd comes with software to configure the new drive....i think you're best bet here is to call apple....they should help you since it is a warranty/exchange....

OP
N

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
uh, right. I have my files in a working MacBook, but how to install OS X on the new drive (in another MacBook)? In OS X setup, I thought there's a point at which Setup asks "do you want to move settings and files from another Mac?" In fact, I'm sure of it.

I replaced a dead drive in my MacBook with a "new" drive, then started up with the install disk. Should work, right?

Reaction score
yes you are right...it should prompt you for that....and should work....key word being should....i guess your best bet is to take it to an apple store or call apple....maybe it is just a dud hd.....sorry i'm not more help....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.