eSATA Expresscard 34

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2 Ghz/ 2GB RAM / 120 GB HDD
Can someone recommend an eSATA Expresscard that actually works well with Leopard? What data transfer speeds have you been able to achieve with it when connected to an external drive with an eSATA interface, and is it truly faster than FW800?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Can someone recommend an eSATA Expresscard that actually works well with Leopard? What data transfer speeds have you been able to achieve with it when connected to an external drive with an eSATA interface, and is it truly faster than FW800?

I've yet to find one, but I can answer your latter query. ESATA is just another connector type on the same SATA bus that is inside of your computer. So, you have a theoretical rate of 3.0Gb/s, compared to an 800Mb/s rate for FW800. There are 1000Mb in a Gb, so theoretically, it should be more than 3 times the speed. I say theoretically, because hard drives simply can't transmit data at those speeds as the bus is not the bottleneck, but the drive technology itself.

The bottom line here is that if you want your external drive to function at the same speeds as an internal drive, you're best off with an ESATA adapter. FW800 will be comparable, but with ESATA, you're essentially using the same bus so it's an apples to apples comparison.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2 Ghz/ 2GB RAM / 120 GB HDD
I've yet to find one, but I can answer your latter query. ESATA is just another connector type on the same SATA bus that is inside of your computer. So, you have a theoretical rate of 3.0Gb/s, compared to an 800Mb/s rate for FW800. There are 1000Mb in a Gb, so theoretically, it should be more than 3 times the speed. I say theoretically, because hard drives simply can't transmit data at those speeds as the bus is not the bottleneck, but the drive technology itself.

The bottom line here is that if you want your external drive to function at the same speeds as an internal drive, you're best off with an ESATA adapter. FW800 will be comparable, but with ESATA, you're essentially using the same bus so it's an apples to apples comparison.

I bought a eSATA card recently and had to wait until the manufacturer released a beta leopard driver. When I finally tested it on a LaCie hard drive, I tested it by transferring a 1 GB file from my local HDD to the external drive. I found that it was actually slower than connecting via FW800. Even if the transfer speed of 3.0 Gb is theoretical, shouldn't it be faster than FW800? I am tempted to go out and buy a drive faster than FW 800 since I need the speed, but don't want to until I know that this works.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I bought a eSATA card recently and had to wait until the manufacturer released a beta leopard driver. When I finally tested it on a LaCie hard drive, I tested it by transferring a 1 GB file from my local HDD to the external drive. I found that it was actually slower than connecting via FW800. Even if the transfer speed of 3.0 Gb is theoretical, shouldn't it be faster than FW800? I am tempted to go out and buy a drive faster than FW 800 since I need the speed, but don't want to until I know that this works.

ESATA should be equal to or greater than the speed of FW800. The performance discrepancies you've observed are likely the result of the beta driver. I would contact the manufacturer and report the problem, typically developers are looking for that kind of feedback on products still in beta.

I would absolutely not buy a different drive - LaCie is well known for high quality drives and components.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.