G5 black screen error

kba

Reaction score
hello guys
Can someone help me with an Power Mac G5 error?
I've had it for a month and this has happened only twice.. so far.

As i am working a black (transparent black) screen appears over my screen on wich it says in multiple languages that i need to turn off or restart my computer, by holding the power button. I can't do anything, like close or save any application. just.. shut it down.
I've installed some updates, also one as i type, but I don't think it has to do with the lastest software.

Power Mac G5, Quad Core x 2,5ghz, 4,5 Gb ram.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is a Kernel Panic. One of the largest causes is bad RAM. Have you added any RAM to the computer lately? A stick can be going bad. If it's not RAM then it could be something messed up in OSX also, but Ram is the big cause.

OP
K

kba

Reaction score
i didn't add any ram.. i just received this computer ar work. my boss also sayd it could be because of the ram. in the window for the ram (system properties) it all says ok. how do i know which one is bad?
thank you for your answer!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do you have the Install DVD's for that machine? If so one should have a HardWare test. If your PM G5 is like my iMac G5, you put in the first DVD and boot holding down the Option Key. You select Apple Hardware Test from the selection. When it gets into the AHT menu select Full Test. Here I had a bad stick and it found it and told me which one failed.

I am not sure with your machine that the way I said above will run the HardWare test, but it's there with the Install Media. The above way works on my iMac G5. Let me know if you have the install media and I will check on how to run the Apple Hardware Test on that machine.

OP
K

kba

Reaction score
hello. yes. i have the install disks but I am waaay to busy right now to even think of putting it in :(
If you find and aswer before me... please post. if not.. i'll tell you if it worked and how after I figure it out.
Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.