Finder resets, desktop clears, whenever user folder is opened

Reaction score
Whenever I try and open my user folder (no matter which route i take to access it) my finder resets itself, closes all open windows, and everything on the desktop momentarily dissapears, then reappears... anyone know what this is or how to fix it??
Thanks, Josh

Reaction score
click the apple then about this mac. if its 10.4.X then its tiger 10.5 then its leopard

Reaction score
ok. spotlight search com.apple.finder.plist, then go to show all. then right click /control + click on the file then go to show in finder. once the finder window opens drag the com.apple.finder.plist file to the trash. then press command + option + escape. then relaunch the finder.

OP
J
Reaction score
so now the finder is just constantly resetting itself and wont stop... want to provide me a solution to this now larger problem?

Reaction score
hmmm thats odd. very odd. no i don't know what the problem is. that should have fixed it.

OP
J
Reaction score
unfortunately it just made the problem much much much worse... you can understand how not being able to access anything now because of the advice you gave me might make me a little... angry?

Anyway Im now logged onto another user that isnt having this issue. Is there a way I can just delete that user even though its the admin?? How would i do that?

Reaction score
umm you would need to make your current user an admin first then delete it in system prefs

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
unfortunately it just made the problem much much much worse... you can understand how not being able to access anything now because of the advice you gave me might make me a little... angry?

Anyway Im now logged onto another user that isnt having this issue. Is there a way I can just delete that user even though its the admin?? How would i do that?

What he told you to do is often recomended when the finder is messing up. It should have fixed it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.