Firwire card not responding on g4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 1.25ghz power mac G4 w/OSX Tiger, Old imac g3 w/OS9
My computer is not responding to anything that I plug into it through firwire (800). I noticed the problem when I tried to connected my digi 002 and my computer didn't respond. Then I tried to connect my external lacie hd and it didn't respond. I know its not the cable or either the digi 002 or lacie because all work with my other computer.
So I am guessing I need a new firewire card for my power mac g4, right?
If this is so, how do I know which firewire card I need. I've searched online at severel different sites and at the apple store. The apple store only seems to offer the 400 firewire card and the one I need is 800.
Another concern of mine is that I am not exactly sure how to install the new firewire card seeing that I opened up my computer a saw that there are other things blocking the way to my firewire card. Does anyone know how to do this properly?
Thank you for your help.:)

OP
warmmmilk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a Dual 1.25 GHz Power Mac G4 FW800. Its not my digi 002 compatibility. That has worked for four+ years with this computer. Just recently the connection has stop working. I am thinking that the problem is that my FW800 is not working anymore and I need to replace it. At least that's the only logical explanation I can come up with. Does anyone know how to replace this properly? Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB
In that case, the 'Logic Board' would have to be replaced to resolve this as the FW800 port is integrated on the Logic Board.

Or..purchase a FW800 PCI card.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just a slim chance but it could be something in the OS like a driver. One never knows. I would do an Archive and Install and if the FW800 port is still dead, then I would try and find a Firewire 800 PCI card that is OSX compatible.

SpindleX is right, it's part of the Logic (Motherboard) as far as I know.

OP
warmmmilk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not quite sure what you mean by do an archive. Could you explain? As for a pci card, I think I found one that is compatible. http://youtube.com/watch?v=npbftGodGGI
btw, thanks for your posts. They have been REALLY helpful.:)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When you install OSX you are given 3 options. Right after you select the Hard Drive to install to there is an Options button or advanced. Press that and there should be Upgrade, Archive and Install, Erase and Install. Erase formats the drive, Upgrade just does a basic upgrade, Archive and Install preserves your settings and installs OSX new and makes an archive of the old install that you can later delete when you know all is well. That way you will not loose a thing.

OP
warmmmilk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. I'll try it out!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
warmmmilk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dtravis 7 you were right. After I reinstalled my OS it recognized my firewire. Thank you so much! I owe you one.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dtravis 7 you were right. After I reinstalled my OS it recognized my firewire. Thank you so much! I owe you one.

Hey, glad to hear it worked! Saves you some $$$ also! :D

Good going.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.