13"15"17"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Imac G5 1.8Ghz 2Gb Ram & 820Gb of external hard drives
I am looking to buy a Mac laptop but need some help in deciding which way to go. I will be using it almost entirely for my photography OCD;D

My problem is the choice. I could get, including applecare:

Macbook 2.2 + 4Gb (shop bought not apple) & external apple 23" screen (and calibrate it) = £1845 or

Macbook pro 15" 2.2 + 2Gb & external apple 23" screen (and calibrate it) = £2192 or

Macbook pro 17" hi res 2.4 + 2Gb = £2138

The questions are...How good will the Macbook be using the 23" screen with PS and Lightroom? Can I calibrate the 23" and use it with the macbook? Will there be a noticeable difference between the 15 & the macbook in using the 23" screen because of the graphics card? Can I calibrate the 17" hi res properly and not have the hassle of a 23" monitor in my 1 bed apartment?:Confused:

(darn it! - can a mod move the thread to the portables section? sorry)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
First off, you posted in the wrong section of the forums. There is a difference between a Mac Pro and a MacBook Pro.
For design work, the 15" or 17" MacBook Pro's are best. A second monitor will always be helpful and will compliment the MBP well.
Buy what you can afford. If you can afford the 17" with high rez screen, go for it.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First off, you posted in the wrong section of the forums.

Hence the sentence in parenthesis;D

Yes there is a difference between a Macbook Pro and a Mac Pro. Its portability or about 16kg;D

Having an additional screen is ok but if I can calibrate a 17 hi res is 'could' make the need redundant.

How will the other 2 options compare, other than cost which is not really an worry?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your sentence in parenthesis wasn't then when I first replied. It takes me a few minutes to reply from my phone.
If you're comparing the 15" to the 17" and price isn't an option, I would compare the 2.4GHz models. There is a 15" 2.2GHz models and it will be slightly slower and the video card isn't as powerful. If we are comparing the 2.4GHz models, the only difference is the screen's resolution really.
I have a 20" monitor which has the same resolution as the 17" MBP. It isn't enough screen for me. I'd definitely like a second screen for the toolbars and so I can have iTunes, Mail and other apps open and visible while I am working or playing.
By calibrate you mean color correct, right?
Anyways, you can always buy the MBP now and see if you need a 2nd monitor later. I would say there would be more of a need if you purchased the 15" model instead of the 17".

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry bryphotoguy, I did not mean to come across as rude. I was suffering from LNFF syndrome (late night fat finger)

I like the Macbook as it is nice and small for travel but the 17" hi res has the possibility of being a one-stop-shop if it can be colour corrected.

How will the Macbook cope with running a 23" monitor? It will be maxed out on ram so that the draw from the graphics should not make much of a difference but I really need the colour correction as I use a local print lab and have their printer calibration files for various papers etc so can check the output before sending off the files.

I will be using Lightroom for all but noise reduction and sharpening - Lightroom is not dependant on the graphics card as it uses the cpu as I understand it.

How would the Macbook cope with PS on a larger screen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the 13" Macbook has an integrated video card. The video card doesn't have its own dedicated processor like the MBP does. Whatever the integrated processor can't handle the computers processor has to help perform creating a slowdown because of the bottleneck.
Adding a second monitor to the mix will only exasterbate the Macbooks weekness, the video card.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In that case can a 17 hi res be colour calibrated?

If not the Macbook seems a good option. I don't mind waiting a little while for an adjustment on a fairly serious photograph.

Can a Macbook run colour calibration on a 23" screen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All computers can be color calibrated if you have the right tools. I assume you have a colorimeter and its native software?? You need to make sure you're using a version that supports multiple monitors. I purchased the Spyder2Suite before I realized it would only work with one monitor. It's not a serial issue or anything, they just make it so the app only loads on the native screen, the MacBook or MacBook Pro screen. You will need Spyder2Pro (what I use now) or the Spyder3 or any of those other brands (LaCie, Macbeth.)
If you don't own a colorimeter, I suggest the Colorvision Spyder. The software is great and real simple to use. I have it set to remind me to calibrate every Monday so I never forget. Plus, they're the cheapest.
My first Mac was a MacBook. I just couldn't use it for photo work. The 13" screen is WAY to small for image manipulation. I didn't have a 2nd monitor at the time nor did I really have a need for a laptop so I sold it a few months after I purchased it.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the advice on the colourimeter options & tech.

I really fancy the Macbook for its size. I really just want a laptop for checking through shots to when I am away as it means I can check through for quality and even go back to a spot if they can be improved on.

Do you just use you Mac Pro and review once you are home? I could just get a 24" Imac - Now I am really not sure:Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've only went out shooting once since I've purchased my Mac Pro a couple months ago. I have a fine art photo degree but want to work photographically for someone else so I shoot on my own. Since nothing is really critical for me, I can rely off of the camera's LCD. The high end cameras have 3" screens these days and that's plenty large enough for me to use when I am reviewing photos.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.