Java Programming

Reaction score
I'm in a beginning java programming class and I would like to be able to program on my mac.

on a pc i make it in notepad, save it as something.java and then use the command prompt to compile and run it.

On a mac i have no idea how to do it or if it is as easy. if anyone has experiance with doing this i'd be interested.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hey scrum! I'm in a similar course this semester!

You can basically do exactly what you do on the PC:

Open Textedit, go to the 'Format' menu and select make plain text, type your program, save it as 'program.java'.

Then open the "terminal" (In applications> utilities) and type: "cd the location of your file". (hint, or type "cd " then drag in the file to have the terminal automatically fill in the path).

Then type "javac program.java" to compile and "java program.java" to run it.

That's the basics. If you want a nicer way of doing things, I can highly recommend Textmate. It has built-in systax highlighting, intelligently format your code and has special shortcuts for "compile & run" "complile and run in terminal" and the like.

There are also a bunch of other text editors (Subethaedit is also nice) that have syntax highlighting...

textmate-java-20071122-225425.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66, ATI 1900, 5 GB RAM, 750 GB Storage
Aptana is a free application for java editing and programming available from Apples site. You need Firefox for debugging but it seems to be very nice from the limited amount i have used it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
If you are looking for a GUI try Eclipse.

I use Vim editor on Terminal for writing java programs. It is preinstalled in every Mac. To activate syntax highlighting, create a file called .vimrc on your users folder ~/ and type syntax on on it. Then save it and restart the Terminal. When you open a jave program next time, you should see all the color effects.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Eclipse gets my vote.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
Textmate owns. Not free though... Eclipse is nice if you want a real IDE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I find eclipse horribly slow... it's probably necessary when you start developing apps with multiple classes, but for simple stuff less is more :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Netbeans is nice, and looks more like an Apple app. Eclipse is a bit slow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.