Streaming Audio

C

ChicoWeb

Hi guys, new to the board. I've been searching around for the easiest/best way to stream audio for my apple listeners. I'm not really looking to use quick time streaming server or anything of that nature. Any suggestions? Its only a few songs here and there.

Thanks in advance

Edit: I've tried .m3u but I IE doesn't not play them properly. I currently use active X as for PC users.

OP
R

RobDreugan

i would look into using .pl's which are playlists, if you are looking to just have a dedicated stream.

Other than that, I'd do a google search, or you could even stream the audio via flash...

OP
C

ChicoWeb

RobDreugan said:
i would look into using .pl's which are playlists, if you are looking to just have a dedicated stream.

Other than that, I'd do a google search, or you could even stream the audio via flash...

.pls didn't work correctly with IE for some reason (safari it was okay, but IE just showed the path to the mp3. Flash is a good idea, but its not very dynmaic. I have 4 or 5 cds that need to be streamed and changed at any given time.

OP
T

TF1

ChicoWeb said:
.pls didn't work correctly with IE for some reason (safari it was okay, but IE just showed the path to the mp3. Flash is a good idea, but its not very dynmaic. I have 4 or 5 cds that need to be streamed and changed at any given time.
Hey Chico, I just signed up to offer you up some help if you're still in need of it.
I stream from my mac using Audion via a Shoutcast Server. Shoutcast says there's no know way to do this on their site but that's just old info. The stream is a .pls file and almost all mp3 players can listen in except for the wonderful windows media player! LOL. Real Player, iTunes, Audion, SoundJam, Winamp all work to enable folks to listen in. Need details?

OP
S

storemike

I also tried m3u and pls files, which work prefectly for my *nix and Windows users. iTunes downloads the playlist file to the desktop, THEN opens the stream. Is this the way it always works with iTunes on OSX? Is there a way to do it without having to have the user use the Open URL (or is it Open Stream) command? It'd be nice to have them simply click a link.

Thanks,
Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
try that: tp://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/25302 (outdated link removed)

OP
S

storemike

we don't want to have to make the user install software to listen to the stream, tnough.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.