Mac OS X hanging on shutdown

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My wife and I have bought our first Mac and so far its the most amazing computer experience ever! We should have switched sooner.

Anyway, on to our little problem...

We have an iMac running leopard. An external disk used solely for Time machine. Everything was great until we turned off the external disk before un-mounting it....oops!

Now when we shut down the mac and the external disk is still on, Mac OS just hangs. We left it for like half an hour but it would not shut down. If we run our iMac without the back disk on, Mac OS shuts down normally.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? If so, what should we do? Many thanks!

Ian

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would run a Verify and Repair on the external disk. This is done using Disk Utility (Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility). Click on your external drive in the left window pane, then click the First Aid tab. Run Verify and Repair - also run Verify and Repair Permissions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
you could also try calling technical support....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.