Issues with time machine - can anyone help?

Reaction score
Hi,
I've a mac laptop, and therefore don't always have my external hard-drive plugged in. What I'd like to do is simply switch on my computer and do a time machine backup from time to time. It seems however that because the rate of daily backups is every hour, I have to wait 60 minutes until the backup is scheduled to happen routinely. Surely there's an override for a manual backup, but I can't seem to find it.
Time machine looks and works otherwise very nicely, though unless you've a desktop mac I'd have thought that this would be an issue for a lot of users.
Any suggestions?
Cheers,
Andrew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Hi Andrew,

I posted a similar question in the fact that I did not want my external drive turned on all the time.

I have found that if you right click on the Time Machine icon in the dock you can start a manual back-up that way. (Click "Back Up Now")

This is ideal if, like me, you don't want/need hourly backups and only want to back up your machine say at the end of each day.

Hope this helps,

Chris :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.