Leopard Installation Advice Please

Reaction score
Friends,

I have purchased a new MacBook Pro and it came pre-installed with Tiger and the Leopard DVD in the box.

When upgrading to Leopard should I simply perform the 'upgrade', or should I select the 'Erase and Install' option? Does it make an difference to the computer?

Also, if I do select the 'Erase and Install', will it remove all the bundled programs that were installed like IPhoto and IDVD etc? If so, do I just re-install them from the Tiger disks after I have installed Leopard (if I go down the 'Erase and Install' option)? and then run the 'additional installs' that are on the leopard disk?

And should I run disk utility from the installation disk or repair permissions prior to installing Leopard?

Also, I understand that the maitenance runs performed by the computer occur between 0300 and 0500 for the daiy, weekly and monthly tasks?

Since I don't have the computer on during these times, should I be manually running these tasks?

Cheers,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
Yes Clean install is always better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
On the other hand, I've performed two Leopard archive and install upgrades from Tiger and not a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
as you have a brand new machine, I would do a erase and install.

Anyway, I've did 2 simple upgrades on mbp's, and absolutely ZERO problemas at all.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Normally, I would be first in line to recommend a clean install.
However, with a brand new machine - not - why? - haven't had time to gum up the works with a bunch of stuff that may not run under Leopard or cause some incompatibiltiy.

Plus, if you do a clean install, you're going to have to re-install your iLife suite from the Tiger disks. And all the other trial software that came with your system if you want to try them out - iWork, MS Office....

No, in this one case, believe the simple upgrade would be adequate.
However, for me personally, I would take the Archive and Install option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
It stands to reason, a clean install has got to be better.

No it doesn't. In the Windows world that may be true but it is certainly NOT true in the Mac world. The nature of the Mac file System and how the OS works make this option not needed in 90 to 95% of cases.

My advice to the Chrisflyer would be to do an Archive and Install vice a clean install. This will save his profile, settings and documents while installing a fresh copy of 10.5 on the machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4gHz, iTouch, MBP 2.5gHz
Pardon a really dumb question, but it is one that I haven't seen covered in any of the upgrade threads. With archive and install, I understand that the user account information is sent to an external drive before the installation. If the iMac has two user accounts, are both settings archived? And secondly, after installation, is the information that was sent to the external drive automatically replaced into the new operating system, or do I have to manually do it. We have a two month old iMac without much installed software except for iWork and I am dreading to attempt anything more than a simple upgrade. Perhaps I am worrying more than I have to!!!
Cam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The user accounts are NOT sent anywhere, much less an external drive. When you do an A & I ALL user accounts are re-linked with the new system, but remain on the drive where they are throughout the process.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4gHz, iTouch, MBP 2.5gHz
Thanks Baggs. Am I correct in understanding that I will have to re-install iLife and iWorks, but my Safari and e-mail settings and documents will remain?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope. You should not have to reinstall much of ANYTHING after an A & I, that's the whole point of an A & I, it saves all your stuff. In fact, if you have Apps that you have updated to newer version than are on the install disc, it won't touch them at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.