Amazon Kindle E-Reader - first impressions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I picked up a Kindle E-Book Reader from Amazon, which arrived today. I'm pretty impressed with it! If you haven't heard about it, the Kindle is an electronic book reader from Amazon. It goes for $399 and includes the device, a lifetime cellular Internet connection subscription, and a small discount off nearly every book available electronically. Right now Amazon has over 80,000 books converted and are planning on putting their entire bookstore into digital format.

The Kindle offers several neat features. First, it has an E-Ink screen. This sets it apart from a computer screen because it doesn't require backlighting - much easier on your eyes for reading for long periods of time. Second, it has a built-in EV-DO chip for wireless access to the Kindle bookstore anywhere you take it. No wifi connection or computer connection required, although it does have a USB port if you want to transfer your own content. Third, you can purchase books instantly on the device via the wireless connection - books only take 60 seconds to download and you can buy them using Amazon's 1-Click technology. So basically, with the Kindle you can buy books anywhere you are, take your entirely library with you, and your eyes won't melt from starting at a computer-like screen all day because it uses E-Ink.

The E-Ink screen is fabulous. It looks really amazing - I've never seen an E-Ink screen before and I'm very impressed by it. I believe it has 4 levels of gray; the screen itself is a light gray while the text is a dark gray, not black. I believe this makes it easier on your eyes than regular books - it seems like less of a strain on mine at least. It displays pictures pretty well, not in color of course, but you can see graphics like book covers just fine. Since it's targeted to being a book replacement and most books are printed in black ink, I don't see the lack of color being a drawback.

The wireless connection is excellent. Even inside my house I get plenty of bars. There's a switch on the back to turn it on and off - you get about 30 hours of reading time with the wireless on and about a week of reading time with the wireless off. It's just a simple switch on the back, next to the on/off switch. Downloads are extremely fast; by the time you navigate back from to the home page from the store, your download is usually done. They don't have all the titles available yet, but they do have 100 or so out of the 112 books on the New York Times bestseller list, so you have access to plenty of content. Oh and McGraw-Hill said that their textbooks are 55% cheaper than print books, which is great if you're a student like me.

I really like the concept of being able to carry the Kindle and take your entire library with you. It stores 200 books in the onboard memory; I got a 2GB SD card which holds 2,300 books. It can also hold MP3 files, Audiobooks, as well as subscriptions to newspaper, magazines, and blogs. You can import your own content, although you have to convert it first using either Amazon's service or a free software application from Mobi if you want to convert PDFs. You can also email stuff to your Kindle, but they charge you 10 cents per email, so you might as well just use the USB cable and do it for free. It does have a basic web browser as well.

In addition to displaying books, you can also bookmark pages, search through the book for specific words, lookup all the words on a line in your book on the onboard dictionary, and even search Wikipedia. You can also highlight lines and take notes using the onboard keyboard, although the letters lag a little behind your typing (not sure if that's the processor or the E-Ink technology at work).

There are a few big drawbacks. The biggest is the button placement. There are large buttons on each side of the device to flip through pages. These are great and very handy, but make it difficult to hold the way I would hold a normal book. You have to hold it gently in order not to press a button, or hold it more towards the bottom. That's not the way I'm used to holding a book and it's very annoying. Maybe to the point of returning it, I'm not sure yet. I'll need to read a book or two to see if I can adjust to it. The Kindle itself is very lightweight as well as cool-running and noiseless, so it's not like adjusting my "holding" style is a huge issue, but it is annoying nonetheless. There's also no landscape mode - when you hold a book normally, you have both the left and the right pages open and it's "widescreen" in a sense. When I hold the Kindle horizontally, it is much more comfortable to hold, but again it doesn't have a landscape mode (the Sony E-Book Reader does!).

My other gripes are fairly small. First, the screen does get a dull glare from light sources. This is easily remedied by angling it just a bit away so that the glare goes away, but my paper books don't get any glare. Second, it's white. It's already dirty and I haven't even had it for a whole day. Why not black or another dark color? Third, it's ugly. Yes, it looks better in person, but it's no Apple product. Luckily it's just an e-book reader and not something that necessarily needs to look "sexy", if you know what I mean. It's just an electronic book reading device, so I can overlook the aesthetic design.

Other than the large, annoying-to-hold-it-easily buttons on both sides, it's a fairly intuitive and seamless experience. It's really cool being able to store my books on it and not have to stare at a bright computer screen. I can only handle reading PDFs and other long documents on a computer screen so long before my eyes bug out, so the E-Ink technology is a real blessing. Would I recommend this to normal people? I would say wait for revision 2. If you're a gadget junkie and avid book reader like me and can overlook the button design, then I'd say go for it. It seems to be an excellent product if you can adapt to the weird button placement. Oh, and the keyboard stays completely out of the way. I thought the keyboard would be a problem but it's not a problem in the least.

Anyway, just wanted to share! I think that E-Book Readers are the wave of the future and this is one of the major milestones towards that future. Sony has had their E-Book Reader out for a long time, but Amazon is the one who is really going to move things forward because they have the world's largest library behind them - Sony only has a 1/4th of the content that Amazon has, and Amazon is just getting started. I'm not 100% sure that I will be keeping mine, but I will definitely be keeping an eye out for version 2.0. Cheers!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just heard about that today and was wondering if maybe it was a rebadged Sony. Well, looks like not. Almost bought the Sony when they hit last year. This apprears to be a much more impressive little piece of tech.

Although, I don't need one for myself right now since I've gotten into audiobooks, the wife's birthday is coming up pretty quick.

Doesn't look like there is much space not being used by some sort of button on the face of it the thing though. Could see how holding it might take some getting use to.

If it had audiobook capability, my order would be going in for one now.

kaidomac - keep us posted after you've had it for few days or a week and let us know any further impressions you have. Think this might be something the wife would enjoy.

I really like that one line they have though "...Best Sellers and all New Releases $9.99, unless marked otherwise". Gotta love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I've looked at them, but it's not one of those devices that "wow'd" me.

Glad you like it though.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Just heard about that today and was wondering if maybe it was a rebadged Sony. Well, looks like not. Almost bought the Sony when they hit last year. This apprears to be a much more impressive little piece of tech.

Although, I don't need one for myself right now since I've gotten into audiobooks, the wife's birthday is coming up pretty quick.

Doesn't look like there is much space not being used by some sort of button on the face of it the thing though. Could see how holding it might take some getting use to.

If it had audiobook capability, my order would be going in for one now.

kaidomac - keep us posted after you've had it for few days or a week and let us know any further impressions you have. Think this might be something the wife would enjoy.

I really like that one line they have though "...Best Sellers and all New Releases $9.99, unless marked otherwise". Gotta love it.

You didn't read my post all the way through - it DOES have Audiobook capability! :D There's a headset jack and volume buttons on the bottom. You can also play unencrypted MP3s on it.

As far as the $9.99 price tag of books, most older books are actually less expensive. I just got a Terry Brooks book for $4.99! I haven't seen any novel-ish books for more than $10, but computer books and other reference-type material goes for more. Most of the prices seem to be $1 - $10 less than the printed books however.

I'm reading through a novel right now. So far everything is excellent except the ergonomics. I am getting more used to hold iting, but actually using it is really a two-handed affair. I think this is dumb - you should be able to use an E-Reader with one hand. I can't hold it with one hand AND flip pages comfortably, I have to use both hands for that. The Sony E-Reader seems to have a much better design in this area, plus it has landscape mode. The problem is that Sony doesn't have as much content in the way of e-books, and with e-books content is king. Even if you pirated the books, you're still not going to get anywhere near the collection that Amazon has, plus Sony mangles PDF import from what I've read. If they licensed the Sony reader to read Kindle books then we'd be all set, but that will never happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
It looks like a cool device, but I get so much of my university course material in PDF format these days that I'd really need something that supports PDFs out of the box.

I might look into the Sony though once they hit over here...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
I think the device in concept has serious potential. A few things need to happen though.

1) Needs to get cheaper. 399 plus all the book costs. Tad pricy.

2) Need to be able to print content into hard form. Although everything being digital is the way of the future, we are in the present we a paper form still has purpose.

3) Needs overall polishing (Aka fix the issues kaidomac mentioned.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
I'm sure its great for a very keen reader but for me personally I wouldn't ever buy one. But I agree with 'Shannonb'. with his points.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
kaidomac - No, read that, but from what i was reading in the reviews regarding the audio side, it only plays in random mode. There is no way to select an individual audio file. Which to me means that if you want to listen to an audio book, you could only put a single audio file on the Kindle at a time. This would be for me a huge disadvantage, as even most of the books I've been listening to are comprised of 3-4 files. And I would still have to carry my iPod or MBP with me everywhere.

And the Kindle requires windows to download and install any Audible content.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
It's a nice device, I love the idea of carrying around a load of reference material, but:

1. Ugly as sin. And I don't like the sound of the button-placement problems.

2. No PDF support is a major restriction, and a deal-breaker for me.

3. Is the firmware upgradeable, so they could add features a la iPods/iPhones? If not, it's too expensive (much too expensive) for a device which will only ever do the things it does out of the box.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After having read many pages of reviews and responses by the Amazon team, have found no indication that the firmware is upgradeable.

As is the case with installing Audible content (requires a windows computer), am guessing that any pdf converter they come up with will require the same. Have not read the manual for the Kindle yet, so don't have a clue if it is compatible with our Mac's at all yet.

I still really like the whole concept of the device though.

Reaction score
Best Sellers and all New Releases $9.99, unless marked otherwise.
Saw Charlie Rose on PBS the other night interviewing Jeff Bezos of Amazon who was flogging the Kindle. He said all downloads are $9.99 — no mention of "unless marked otherwise." Hurrumph. The iPod was mentioned as a comparison, of course.

Bezos also said the Kindle means no books will ever be out of print, and that the thing holds 200 books. No mention of the sizes of them. Does War & Peace equal two books? Five books? He hopes it will be capable of displaying colour in five years.

I don't think I'd bother with it, even if it makes it into Canada, though I wouldn't throw it away if it showed up under the Christmas tree. But its name seems a little bizarre. Kindle? It conjures up images of books being burned.

Edit: Just noticed the Windows requirement. Deal-breaker.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD
Edit: Just noticed the Windows requirement. Deal-breaker.

What Windows requirement? Kindle connects up to a Mac just fine - you can drag and drop ebooks right to the Kindle via USB (in supported formats of course - which are easily converted - including converting PDF files - via the kindle email service).

Also, bestsellers are $9.99 or less hence the $9.99 unless marked otherwise. There are current bestsellers going for under $7...

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
What Windows requirement? Kindle connects up to a Mac just fine - you can drag and drop ebooks right to the Kindle via USB (in supported formats of course - which are easily converted - including converting PDF files - via the kindle email service).

Also, bestsellers are $9.99 or less hence the $9.99 unless marked otherwise. There are current bestsellers going for under $7...

Yup I just bought a handful of books for $4.99. And Mac works fine with drag and drop, the Kindle shows up like any other drive. Easy as pie.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I've decided to return it. I've only used it for a day but I can tell the button layout is going to frustrate me forever. I don't want to have to think about where to put my hands when I picked it up, I just want to pick it up and use it to read - but because the Previous/Next buttons are so large you can't. The Sony E-Reader looks like a good alternative, plus has a landscape mode, but the entire draw of an E-Reader is content and Sony only has a 1/4th of what Amazon has, so that's no good either.

Anxiously awaiting Kindle 2.0.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I find it interesting that you need to convert a PDF file. I doubt that would work with protected PDF files though.

Also mentioned on another site I read is that the Amazon content has DRM. So what happens if this is a failed product and Amazon stops selling it. Will your payed for content work indefinitely?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Though I find it a great idea, I would prefer to have a similar device with touchscreen capability.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Though I find it a great idea, I would prefer to have a similar device with touchscreen capability.

Hmmmm. Something like the touch scroll on the iPod Touch would be cool. Just move the pages around with your fingers etc...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Sorry it didn't work out, kaidomac. It sounds like Version 1 syndrome to me, perhaps it should have stayed in development a bit longer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro 15" 2.4, 4 gig ram, 200gig hd
Any more input?

Does anyone else have a kindle? It has been a while since there were any new posts here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.